Questions for beginners

I think that there is a need for setting up the topic for total beginners. I sometimes have a question which is too simple for opening separate topic, and I think that there is a lot of people like me. So I think that this would be a good place for asking such stupid questions.

So here is my first question.

1. How to create rectangle? I don’t know what to insert in “transform” window-? How to specify insertion point, like the description says ? How to draw reference lines out of predefined rectangle ?

These are not stupid questions at all, and we are working on better training materials as we speak. As you said, the need is definitely large for this!

There are some differences between the available versions of Dynamo right now. The older version (v0.6.3) is the latest stable release, and that’s what you have if you downloaded from the front page. The newer version isn’t officially released yet, but it’s about to be, as v0.7.1, and you can get the latest build from the downloads page:

Capture

If you’re just learning, use the daily build. In v0.6.3, you can forget about the transform by using an “Identity Transform,” which is to say, none at all, so that your rectangle appears in the center and in the XY plane. Pass the rectangle to a Model Curve node to send it to Revit. Basically anything that talks to Revit is in the Revit library.

In the daily build, there are several different ways to create anything–five ways to create a rectangle, for example, and none involve transforms. Though, you can transform (rotate, translate, scale) the rectangle once you have it. Using the daily build:

Capture

I updated to last version and started using 0.7 version .

I want to rotate this rectangle now. I have a problem with “origin” and planes. Can’t I just pick a plane or level (is level also treated as a plane in dynamo?) from massing interface ? How do I know where is the origin of the plane is and how to set the value of it ?

I also want to draw a plane . I see option to draw reference plane by line- can I pick line that I draw in revit ? I remember there was some options of picking line in 0.6 version, was it replaced by “select model element” -it doesn’t work ??

I have a dilemma whether to use version 0.6 or 0.7 (if this is the one that will be the officially released ). I was working on 0.6 but mostly reading the samples, but once I tried to do some thing on my own things like creating a mass with rotating elements it turned out to be a problem for me.

1 2

Let me answer your question for creating Reference Plane using line.

In 0.7 you can select any elements either using “Select Mode Element” for single object selection or “Select Mode Elements” for multiple object selection.

When you select elements from Revit, you need to extract their Geometries in Dynamo to work further.

Your example for creating ReferencePlane.ByLIne failed because it is missing node CurveElement.Curve in between Select Model Element and RefernecePlane.ByLine. (Image attached for more clarification.)

Keep using 0.7 as it has more functionality compared to 0.6.3.

We are happy to help all of your queries.

Ritesh

Questions for beginners

Rectangle_v2Thank you all for the replies. I have a lot of questions still, so prepare yourself for what’s coming.

Above all the questions in the picture : Can I now create a mass out of this 2 rectangles in dynamo or should I do it manually in revit ? When I do it manually than I use slider to manipulate the rotation and the mass disappears.

Pytanie 1

Rectangle

Rectangle

How to make this solid I have created to be also visible in Revit Mass Environment ?

Maybe you could try something like this?

2014-07-04_141432 2014-07-04_141514

Hi there, I’m a beginner trying to use Dynamo for my final graduation work. I study it on my own and I desperately need help - can somebody give me hints how to create roof like that including the funnel shaped “columns”.

chinroof08

Hi everybody,

As a beginner, I’ve decided to put my question here…

I’m trying to figure out whether it’s a software issue or I’m missing something. It seems that OOTB Dynamo node Vector.AngleBetween computes only [Abs] angle or angles less than 90 degrees. Custom node from Lunchbox package seems to be OK for single vectors, but for list of vectors it produces null

Pls help… Any ideas how I can get angle between multiple vectors?! I’m stuck…

thanks in advance

Good day Mr. Bond,

You could apply Lunchbox’s node to a list with the help of the “List.Map” node. Alternatively you could use the built in node and evaluate the test angle’s direction. The “Vector.AngleBetween” node always gives you the smaller angle, so if you know the quadrant in which the vector resides, you could compensate for it:

1 Like

Oh my… That’s SO informative! Instead of getting just a plain answer, I’ve learnt at least 4 new for me Dynamo features…

Thanks heaps, Mr Venkov :wink:

and again…I know it’s quite simple question from a beginner, but I can’t figure it out on my own (can’t find appropriate nodes)…

how do I apply + function in the way that items from bottom range will be added to top range respectively one by one… so that the result will be = {5…10, 20…25}

thanks…

It doesn’t work with your list structure (You’ll have to ask a Dynamo god why) so I had to flatten your secondary input. To achieve your desired result you can do the following:

1 Like

Home

Good day everyone,

I am a total newbie with dynamo and just trying to figure things out by myself.i have a personal project just to learn dynamo.as you can see in the picture i have a very serious need for help to achieve my goal.please kindly help me with this.i am attaching my dyn file(home) for your review.

thanks a lot.

Translate.dyn

20160125-7

Or an alternative :slight_smile:

Translations_House

Hi, everyone

Here another beginner question.

By following the dinamopremier.com tutorial I’d find some issues. In 8.4 chapter I got this

instead this http://dynamoprimer.com/08_Dynamo-for-Revit/8-4_Creating.html

Something similar happens in 8.5 chapter, this

instead this http://dynamoprimer.com/08_Dynamo-for-Revit/8-5_Customizing.html

Any ideas?

You lacing needs to be set to cross product in nodes Geometry.Intersect (First one) and Surface.PointAtParamiter (second one).

If you look at the examples there are three X’s in the lower right of each of there nodes.

Alberto,

In the first example right click on the node Geometry.Intersect and go down to Lacing and set to Cross Product.

In the second example do the same for Surface.PointatParameter