Pushing room names into a furniture family

I’ve been going in circles with this. I’m close… but it was time to ask for guidance.

I am trying to gather a list of rooms that each Type of furniture is in and push it back to the family. Example: the chair is located in three rooms; the office, conf room and work room. I’m trying to reduce the list to a string; “office, conf room, work room” and then push it back into the chair family. The desk is only located in the conf room… so it’s string should return with just “conf room”.

I can easily push the room name that the furniture is currently in back into the family. It’s the LISTS of rooms that each type occurs in that is stumping me.

I know I am close, but I can’t seem to push the correct info back into the families. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thank you in advance for any help.

Use element.room from Rhythm to get the furniture;'s room. then get the parameters and set the parameters.

Hi Mike,

Untitled

oops! it seems i and john replied at same time

:-)

2016-03-21 13_43_34

1 Like

You guys rock. I’m going to give this a try today. I am using Rhythm’s element.room to get the room names. That is powerful… It’s the compression (flatten) and push the LIST back into the furniture that was stumping me. I will post my results as soon as I see it work! Thanks again for reply and helping me out.

Those ideas didn’t get me where i wanted.

@john: your idea worked great. but i already could push individual data back to the family.

@kulkul: i built yours exactly and it didn’t push the LIST of rooms back into the instances.

I have attached this to show you where I am today.

The grouped list shows the chair in 3 different rooms and the desk in only one room. When i use string from array… it pulls them into a LIST like I want them. but there are 2 main problems here. I can’t figure out how to reconnect the new string (conf room, work room, office) back into the chairs. somehow i need to reconnect this information to the desk and the chair.

and once i figure that out… then i will have the problem of this not being very repeatable. suppose i had 20 different types of furniture.

sheesh. what have i gotten myself into. But i am certain that Dynamo can give me a LIST of the all the rooms that a chair is in… and spit it back into the chair family (instance or type parameter). the comments parameter should then read: {conf room, work room, office}.

am i mistaken… can Dynamo not make a combined list and then put it back into the object?

the node of Element.Room