Problem of tagging elements by their location

Hello,

I ran into a problem when tried to tag multiple elements of different assembly views by their location but couldn’t manage to set the tag head position at the top right/top left/bottom left/bottom right position for all the views.

It’s because for some assemblies I use Top View, for others Front view, Back View…etc. and it’s nearly impossible to manipulate tag head position by element location as I want.

In the other words, if I try to tag an element from the top view and place the tag at top right corner, I need to manipulate it’s location by adding some distance to the X and Y coordinates. If I try to tag the same element from the front view, manipulation of X and Y coordinates does not work, because in this particular view I need to manipulate with X and Z coordinate instead. So on and so forth.

Tagging example:
Side view - worked as it should after manipulating Y and Z coordinate.

Top View - result with the same script after manipulating Y and Z coordinates. In this case I should manipulate Y and X coordinates to get the desired result.

Is there a smart way to manipulate tag head location to avoid this problem? Does the view has ‘it’s own’ coordinate system? In this case I can make this work.

Anything helps. Dyn file attached.TagAssemblyViews.dyn (45.0 KB)

As per this topic, there is a way to modify assemblies origin: Assembly modify origin @Daniel_Woodcock1
Is it possible to modify this origin after the assembly views are created just to get the desired result as per examples below? As mentioned above, it’s just just to place the tags at the top right/ top left / bottom left / bottom right location as needed.

Hello @zalgirietis.minde ,
Have you tried with this method.

Hi @honeyjain619 , it’s not the case. The problem is to the assembly origin itself.
My script uses XYZ coordinates of the elements to place the tags.

If I have a front assembly view, this script will use lets say X and Y coordinates to place the tag in the top right corner of the element. BUT if try to tag the same element from the top view, with the same settings, tag will be placed on top of the element. It is because in top view I need to manipulate X and Z coordinates instead.

after tagging, you can align with reference one tag.

simple example

Thanks for trying to help me out, but I don’t think you understand of what the problem is.
According to my last post I presented only 1 scenario with XY and XZ coordinates. I have way more assemblies all over the project so for the other assemblies I may need to play around with YX YZ coordinates or ZX ZY instead to be able to place the tag at ( eg.) top right corner of the element.

Let’s say any of the assembly view is a plane that has coordinate system. Is there a way to have Y vector looking north and X vector looking east at all times no matter what the assembly or assembly view is? So I can place my tag easily at the point (X,Y)?

1 Like