Placing Revit family detail item in selected view

"Hey!

I have created a Dynamo script that places a Revit detail family item (just an ‘x’) in the center of a concrete recess with the correct length and height based on recess dimensions. This works for several recesses on the same floor.

My problem is that I can’t control which view the detail families appear in. How can I control this? I would like to place them in every view with just one click. (I have tried different lacing options and the view range is the same for both view.)"

Are there hundreds of this? Unless, I’d rather to use shaft fuction if I were you.

Thank you for the replay!

Yeah I know, creating shaft is a solid option and will go that route if there is no other way.

But kinda want to place these detail items in a specific view if that is possible, might want to place other detail items in the future.

There is a node called something like FamilyInstance.ByPointInView, or DetailItem.ByPointInView in the clockwork package which can achieve what you want. Just set up lacing to take a list of views for each point and a consistent family type.

1 Like

Thank you for the replay!

Sadly the clockwork package did not work for me, used the node FamilyInstance.ByPointInView

Hi @brageCRRV7 do you have the dynamoironpython package installed ?

Hi!

Yes, that package is installed

1 Like

Works just as well. Setup your list lacing and levels correctly and you’re good to populate this on every plan you’d like.

I tried this node, but it is not possible to set the levels! The node familyInstance.ByPointAndLevel does that, but then I cant control what active view the family is placed in.

The view has a level associated to it. Detail components don’t have a level after all - they are view hosted.

As long as your views are for the right level(s) you should be good to go.

Got it to work! Just changed one little detail.

So I used the node Document.ActiveView, I am familiar with it and it have work before, but not this time, changed it to Views, where I select the view drom a drop down menu and then it worked.

Summery
Node FamilyInstance.ByPointInView from the clockwork package works for placing detail family items on a view using the node Views and a specified point.

1 Like