Place point on curve at variable distance along the length

Hello, I am to dynamo. So the project I am working on is a bridge. I have to model PT cables using dynamo. I have been given the local coordinates along the centre line, but the x distance varies, can anyone help me how to break the curve or place a point at desired input length
Thanks

2 Likes

Welcome to Dynamo!

Two methods could work here, one is just a single point at segment length, the other is to determine how many points at equal segment length can be accomodated.

2 Likes

Thank you for the reply. But I need to create points at different length as in image.

it will be really helpful if u can guide if any changes needed to get the desired result, also is there a way that I can convert these points created in dynamo into reference points so I can place my adaptive family on it?

You should get that data in a workable format like excel ideally. Dynamo can read excel using the excel import node. As an image or cad table the data isn’t structured.

If you can get the points into sublists per adaptive panel the adaptivecomponent.bypoints node can place them.

thank you @GavinCrump , but again my first query still gets unresolved of how I can place points at the lengths as the lengths vary. eg if my first pt is at 0, 2nd at 1m, 3rd at 0.8, and if i have 11 point in total.

if there is any equal or combination or intervals you need to manually enter the distance and feed in to “Segment Length”. if there is minimum number enter in code block.

1 Like

You’re not getting a direct answer as you keep building on your question… If you want different values along the curve by separation and they are a list of numbers, there are a few ways.

I’d suggest mass addition node from the lunchbox package. There are some other methods discussed here;

2 Likes