Passthrough, how can i understand that?

2020-05-14_12h08_59
https://www.tutorialspoint.com/python/python_pass_statement.htm

Hello Dynos,

How can i understand this commend, it seems to be very simple. It is just made by Codeblocks!
What can i acctualy do with a node like this?
Does anyone have a practical use?

I am glad about any info

KR

Andreas

I think that this node will wait with the execution of a portion of a graph until something else is finished.
Lets say, you create Sheets. This node will stop the placement of views on those until all Sheets are created.

2 Likes

I used it in a routine where i assigned multiple Shared Parameters to multiple family files in Background and wanted to ensure that the document does not close before the parameters are assigned.

3 Likes

I still try to find some understanding.

So it looks for i call a list via index(?)
Can i compare it with the pythonNode “pass”?

KR

Andreas

1 Like

Hey… If you double click on it, you can open it and see exactly how it works… it just doesn’t execute until something else happens… it is not a null as such, just a delay… which I don’t think Python needs because it is able to call variables in a linear manner… Dynamo can have multiple ‘threads’ combining, and as Marcel stated, you do not want to put a view onto a sheet until the sheet is created… you need to sequence correctly.

Hopefully that makes sense and is correct.

Mark

1 Like

It is simply just creating a list and then getting the first item in the list. So it could be rewritten as:

List.FirstItem(passthrough,waitfor);

Or you could even simplify it further and just do a code block with:

[a,b][0];

It acts as a gate because Dynamo has to “collect” all of the items in the list before passing the contents on to the next node.

9 Likes