Outline of wall

I am looking for a way to get the outline from (a) wall(s) ignoring any openings in the wall(s).
I found / looked at some similar topic but couldn’t really find what i was looking for.
Might be possible I missed it.
For now i am looking at two approaches but i have a question for both of them.

Question one

Is it possible to pull those Surfaces to the same Plane?

Question two

How can i close (two) parallel lines at the end (so i end up with a closed rectangle)?

PS
It is for getting a building outline but (for now) i don’t wanna use like some of the solutions proposed
in other topic (like Room Boundary Lines with a Room around the building).

WallCurvesFloorPlan_WIP.dyn (83.4 KB)

Best to use the location line then, as it is one geometry operation to read and offset by 1/2 the walls thickness.

Creating the Room Separation lines and room before rolling back is another option. You could also look into this class of the Revit API to simplify which elements you select or build the solid.

1 Like

For now i really want to stay a way from Room Separation Lines.

Best to use the location line then, as it is one geometry operation to read and offset by 1/2 the walls thickness.

I figured that much, but i kinda need the two parallel lines to be closed at the end
so i end up with a closed rectangle.

And for question 1. Is it possible to pull those surfaces to the same plane though?

hi, here is a potential lead

cordially
christian.stan

1 Like

Hi @bvs1982 Could you not grab the tops of walls and move them down by there unconnected height?

3 Likes

@Kai

I was thinking the same, but i wanna explore some possibilities in case i can’t use one
of them (in a project) for whatever reason.

Hi @bvs1982 not sure if it could help but you can get the wall gweometry without holes/inserts with element.geometry + from clockwork

2 Likes

This :point_up_2: anwered this :point_down: for me. Thanks you for that! :heart: @Kai

Is it possible to pull those surfaces to the same plane though?

1 Like

Also thanks @sovitek! Didn’t know about this node.
Also keep this in mind. This one only doesn’t work when Edit Profile is used on a wall.
But great addition none the less!

Last one to try out is @christian.stan suggestion / method.

2 Likes

Likely less complex to pull the location of the walls, offset by 1/2 of the types thickness and -1/2 of the types thickness, and lift between the two curves.

It won’t account for wall joins, but neither will projecting surfaces, which also have difficulties around non-planar top openings when using Transpose. This method (using the perimeter curves as a PolyCurve) should square that away, though it will be a trade off for speed.

2 Likes

allright havent test so much :wink: i guees then i would go what Jacob suggest

No worries. Any help is appreciated! I’ll don’t mind doing the testing :smile:.

i guess then i would go what Jacob suggest

Also gonna try that. Just wanna try some option and then see what works best for me.

Thanks for all the help thus far people!

1 Like

Like @christian.stan example or is there another way to ‘lift’?

Or is this the node that does that?

Answered my own question. Apparently it doesn’t. Test / try first ask question later :see_no_evil:.

This is more than a lead!

1 Like

Sorry a meant ‘loft’, but autocorrect pushed to lift on my new phone. Loft is now preferred in my dictionary though so hopefully it won’t happen again. :slight_smile:

That is the node, but likely your data structure going into it isn’t correct.

From Element.GetLocation you should use a Curve.Offset node with the location curve as the curve input and that value set to @L1. The distance value for now can be [-1,1]; (or larger if you are in mm for project units). From there you should have a list of pairs of of curves. These can loft into a surface at the wall’s location line (not necessarily planar, but you can now move them to a common elevation as needed via the translate method shown before).

1 Like