Automated Sketch of Outline of Building for Key Plans?

Is it possible to generate a script that will capture the outermost walls of a building and generate a sketch using those lines? Something close to this is using “Convert Lines” and hitting tab, which will usually highlight more connecting lines of an area. However, this it is very inconsistent; most models I work in will only select small portions of the building.

I’m not quite sure how this could be done, as I don’t think Revit and Dynamo have tools that can understand what are considered the outermost edges (akin to Photoshop magnetic lasso).

My initial thought is to somehow select the walls farthest away from a selected point (user selects centerpoint on screen) in all directions. Please let me know if something like this can be done, or if there’s an easier way!

You could draw a huge box around the building using room separation lines… Then put a room in . Then get the room lines.

1 Like

Hello

Look this side

Cordially
christian.stan

1 Like

This script works very well! Took a bit of fiddling with packages first. Is there a way to do this without using rooms? Most of the time I make these key plans early in a project’s lifetime, so rooms may not be placed.

In that same topic is an approach suggested which uses the walls in the project directly, does that work for you?

Placing four room separation lines (or using the property lines) and one room called “exterior” is pretty quick. From there you can pull the boundaries of the room and generate the key plans quite readily.

3 Likes

I already said that :stuck_out_tongue:

Something like this? Then pull room boundaries in Dynamo? Seems pretty straightforward. Thanks all!

1 Like

I’m noticing a lot of projects I work on are not typically set to “Room Bounding” and this method requires that. Will enabling this just to run the script and then disabling it change anything about what exists in the model (since this is done at a point after initial setup)?

Well I tried to pull JUST the walls (excluding the separation box I made) so it can automatically create a filled region all in one go, and this works fine on my test project.

However, in a real model it seems to pull “RevitLinkInstance” instead, which I believe means the link is nested. Are there nodes to retrieve those nested elements as “Wall” instead?

I found this and it works!

Now my issue is that the lines created from walls won’t connect as one shape, even though they seem to be connected visually…

So you have walls that aren’t room bounding?
Do you not use rooms?

Also, share your script so we can see where you’ve gone wrong.

The script works, it’s more of an issue with the models yielding Filled Region loop errors. If I use the curves to draw Detail Lines, this works 100% of the time.

This is taking the centerline of all walls used in the script, it might work flawlessly if I can instead use the outermost line of walls, not sure what the best way to implement that would be.

You’re not feeding that node curves though?

Even feeding it curves yields an error, I’m almost positive it’s a model issue. If there’s a way to join lines that are leaving gaps at corners, I’d love to know about it! I tried some nodes I had that state they attempt they join lines, but with no success.