Offset surface

Hi guys,

I am making walls from surfaces. However my problem is ; how do you offset a surface only on 1 curve?

Curves are grouped by geometry surface, so each groups has 2 different x,y,z… so I would have to isolate the highest z value of each group and then add 150mm…

And also, right now my walls are overlapping, if I was using the bottom surface perimeter, it would be easy to polycurve.offset, but right now I am using vertical faces only so it is more complexe… if I change the X and Y value, it wont offset everything properly… on one side it will fit, and on the otherside , it will offset it inside my walls…

Any way to solve these issues?

Hi,

It’s a little difficult to understand without a full graph or more screen shots.

For the highest Z curve, I think you want to filter using Vectors… For example, filter to get curves who’s Normal is Almost Equal (to account for rounding errors) to Z or -Z… Then you can get a Z value of an End Point to filter for the Maximum value to isolate the highest Curve.

If I understand you correctly, when you have isolated all the top edge curves of the walls you can then make a polycurve (assuming they are all the same Z value) and offset it.

If that doesn’t create you a clean set of curves, you could instead create your own curve using the wall centre line, that is more likely to be a simple rectangle, and when you offset, add on half the wall width.

Hope that helps,

Mark

EDIT: I made one driven by surfaces more than curves, it works for a simple example, unioning the surfaces cleans the joins…

The bigger problem you’ve got is that the geometry is dumb, you want to keep intelligence in there… I would use Room.Boundary if you can, it gives clean lines… Even if I had to make Rooms just for that purpose.

union_Surfaces.dyn (25.1 KB)

Hi Mark, that is exactly my problem, i cant rely on same wall thickness or height, both will vary. The goal is to put plywoods on futur concrete walls. What I will do is select all walls , and add 150mm to the z values for each walls selected. I will do it in 2 phases it will be more simple I think.

For the polycurve offset I will try something out ! Brb