Offset is affecting Z axis (when it shouldn't)... Any ideas?

So I’ve been experimenting a little:

I’ve got:
1- A 2d detail rectangle (drawn first on totally blank canvas using blank Revit template).
2- An architectural floor.
3- A room bounded by separation lines.

This is my Dynamo graph:

In the above image “A” is plugged in. The black lines are the original and green is the offset.

This is with “B” plugged in (nothing else has change in graph).

And this is with “C” plugged in.

So something odd happened with all 3 but if you look at “C” the lines it chose to add Z to were different.

As @AmolShah said the line one can be fixed with list flatten and the other two can be fixed by feeding through the PolyCurve.ByJoinedCurves

1 Like

Which Dynamo and Revit builds are you in?

R2019.2 and Dynamo 2.0.3.

Sorry I’m late to the party and thanks for the shoutout @AmolShah.

I tested this also and you’re right - this is very weird! I tested it for a few minutes, played with true north etc. and it seems to be a consistent behavior, so I suspect its something in Dynamo itself vs the elements generating the curves.

I checked the planes and the directions of the curves, and whilst Dynamo draws the room boundaries in a logical order the offset command seems to move the lines individually towards the bottom left. I guess flattening and polycurving them is probably the only approach that is a cover all, I usually use this method without even thinking about it.

Planes
direction

Normals
plane

Offset

Dynamo 2.3, Revit 2020.

4 Likes

Can I just say how awesome you guys are.

If I point things out like this in real life people say, “so?” and then they stare at me until I go away. :laughing:

3 Likes

go away!
:roll_eyes:

:rofl:

1 Like

Haha!
Careful, I still have your beer…

1 Like

There’s Curve.SmartOffset node from Wobmat package. It solves this problem.

2 Likes