Numbering Structural columns in order of selection

I have a script that I use to renumber viewports and I tried to use it to number structural columns in order of selection, but I’m getting this error.

I did some searching on the forums and tried a different method, but I got the error that the node was expecting a revit.element.element and I was giving it a revit.element.structuralframing.

Can anyone help me out with this?

Instead of the built in parameter, why not use the out of the box Element.SetParameterValueByName node?

Is that different from this one

Because I tried that and this is the error I got

Or maybe you were saying why use a built in parameter, instead make your own and use the other dynamo node

I was doing that exact thing earlier today because I created a tag that showed the base and top level but you can’t put that in a tag. So I had dynamo read those parameters and populate a couple of new shared parameters. Maybe I’m overthinking this script

Hello,
you sent an int instead of string

cordially
christian.stan

1 Like

Expects:
Element, String, var

Got:
StructuralFraming, Int, String

StructuralFraming is a type of element so likely that is ok.
Strings are a type of var, so likely that is ok.
Int is not a type of string though, so that will have to change.

2 Likes

Yeah looking at your image from above, you are feeding 1 into the parameter name input instead of Comments

2 Likes

well seen I had only looked at the error message (sending problem: late work probably)
cordially
christian.stan

1 Like

So the built in Parameter was part of the issue, it honestly make sense just making a new shared parameter called ‘column number’. A team mate is working on this and they used the Comments parameter and I didn’t think to change it.

The other issue was that I was testing it at starting with 100 but the count was only 3 and that is where I was ending it. So it couldn’t end it at 3 if it’s starting at 100. So I added an addition node.

Those two things solved the issues.

1 Like