New Elements Not Working with Script

I got a script to work in terms of reporting head/jamb details on a schedule. However, when I place new doors in newly created walls, those doors are not reporting any values. I already checked that the new walls have the type parameters from which the door instance parameters are drawing information from, but am not sure why the same type of door placed in a new wall is not reporting the same values after I run the script? Ideas?

1 Like

Hi @augustinpe !
Not easy to help you without watching anything about your script :slight_smile: but i would say it depends on how the elements are selected in he graph…

4 Likes

Please don’t judge (still learning Dynamo), but I desperately want the top scripts (not the bottom) ones in the the attached to work. Not sure what I am doing wrong.

ThanksSummit_Door_Door Scripts.dyn|attachment (120.8 KB)

Don’t worry, everybody is a beginner one day, and learning is a whole life job :slight_smile:
Your attachment file can’t be downloaded, i think maybe because you have to insert it alone in a line…you can too share some screenshots just by using the camera button in dynamo (at the top right of the screen) (zoom in enough so that node text is readable), with nodes showing their results (expand bottom)

1 Like

Summit_Door_Door Scripts.dyn (120.8 KB)

Does this work?

yes !

1 Like

Thank you Francois! Looking forward to your reply :slight_smile:

Are you getting any errors, and are you running in Automatic or Manual mode? Are you using Dynamo Player or just the graph?

No errors, Not using Dynamo Player, and I am running the scripts manually. There are two problems:

1. When I place new doors in new walls, the parameters are not populating for the new doors only. I am thinking that because I created a filter for a type parameter within my wall family for wood and hollow metal doors, that that parameter is being evaluated at the same time as a separate script is running within the same file, and that separate script is using the type prankster. I looked into sequencing, but am not certain if that is the right approach; also seems convoluted.

2. Having some issues with my door details.

Anyway- I have uploaded my dynamo file. Would greatly appreciate some feedback on the upper portion as that is what is giving me trouble. The lower portion has two parts. The lower part deals with fire ratings, whereas the upper part is what is is defining doors as wood or hollow metal.

If you think it’s being caused by multiple things at one time, break the graphs down into separate one. That’s by far the simplest and usually the safest way to do this. One you have one graph doing one thing correct every time, you can start looking to combine them.

On another note, graphs without a test data set can be really hard to troubleshoot. Typically if you post a graph and it runs on a bunch of custom parameters a simplified model is also nice to share with it if possible.

2 Likes

Hi @augustinpe !
My first thought is that you should write a more “linear” script , there is something weird with selecting twice the same elements and setting parametter in the one side and asking for the value in the other (is that the value before or after the setting you are looking for ?..)
Something seems confusing in using “Type Comments” and “Type Comments 2” ?
Moreover the “if” part of the bottom graph doesn’t work :
(why to use a if statement without using the output ?)

I will try this! Thanks!! Will let you know how it works out.

I am experimenting with a different script. In the interim though, what is weird is that even though I have deleted values out of all strings (say J3) within Dynamo, J3 still appears in some of the parameter values after I run the new script. Is there a way to purge the parameter values so the script generates “current” values?

Ok see screenshot:

I am basically saying: if a type comment = “WD”, then the head detail should be H3/A600. If the Type Comment is false, then the Head Detail should be H1/A600. However, only H3/A600 was showing up.

See attached file as well.

Thanks!

Summit_Door_Door Scripts2.dyn (77.1 KB)

Use the IF node to only send the detail (text) value through and use only one SetParameter node. The result will be the correct detail for the test. Right now you are setting the values twice, and it sounds like the H3/A600 is the last node firing so that’s what you are seeing.

Thank you! I will try. Could you just clarify what the false and true would be connected to? Where would the other text value be identified (the H1)? Would anything be connected to the result? Thanks!

So you would see:

If —> Result —> H3/A600

H3/A600<—True
Ser Param<—False

??

One more question:

Given my graph, is the best/most efficient way to filter out the billfold and sliding doors from the swing door set. I think they are currently included in the swing door set.

Thanks and Happy New Year!