Network library location in VDI Environment

I have been tearing my hair out for a week now and thought I might consult the experts here about using network libraries with standard users in a VDI environment.

My firm is rolling out a set of dynamo scripts and have run into issues where packages located on network drives refuse to show up under “Add-Ons” in Dynamo. Whether installing the packages to a network folder OR adding packages already existing on a network drive, Dynamo generates an error like this:

Exception when attempting to load package BumbleBee from Q:\Dynamo\BumbleBee
System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly ‘file:///Q:\Dynamo\BumbleBee\bin\bumblebee.dll’ or one of its dependencies. Operation is not supported. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131515)

This happens to the most common packages in Dynamo (archilab, clockwork, rhythm, etc.) though not all (Springs seems to have no complaints about where it’s installed). I can install packages manually through package manager without issue. I can even successfully install packages locally, copy them from %appdata%\Dynamo\Dynamo Revit\2.0\Packages to a network location and have them fail when I add the new Node and Package Path and promote it to the default location. Finally, I can install packages to another location on the virtual C:\ and they will run properly.

Pertinent Information:
Revit Version: 18.32.
Dynamo Version: 2.0.3.8810 (Revit and Core)
Host Environment: VMWare ESXI 6.7 w/ Horizon View 7.8 and AppVolumes 2.16
VM OS: Windows 10 Enterprise
User permissions: standard user w/ R/W/E permissions over network share locations

Any ideas about the direction I should look to resolve this issue? I know it’s very difficult (impossible, even) to reproduce issues in a virtualized environment, but any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks.

the dlls are blocked - this location can be added as a trusted site to the virtualized machines:

the error code:

has been discussed a bunch before.

these packages that fail contain .net binaries which are being blocked by windows.

2 Likes

Thanks Michael. I saw several post about blocked dlls, but never saw anything in Windows that would lead me to believe they were blocked, i.e. no “unblock” button or anything like that. Perhaps that’s only a domain-admin level view.

I’ll get the network location added to the VM guest’s trusted sites and give it a go. Appreciate your response.

1 Like