Lunchbox alternative

Hello I don’t know Dynamo. Just using ‘run’ command from my friend’s or other users scripts. I was using Revit 2019 and then switched to 2023. In one of the scripts - Lunchbox was used. Now it is not supported with Dynamo, I can’t even see it on my list, though I installed it (by packagemanager and manually). Is there any way to switch to a different ‘command’ with the Lunchbox one shown in my printscreen? Thanks in advance.

Hi clockwork and probably many other have a replace null node or you can try as here in a codeblock

and welcome to the forum btw :wink: :wink:

5 Likes

I have replace nulls node from lunchbox in a lot of my scripts.It’s sad they don’t have good relationship with Autodesk.
I try my best to avoid using node from their package in my future scripts.

We tried to keep the relationship - in fact they were the source for much of the primer. Sadly their priorities changed and they just 'didn’t have the bandwidth to pick up the work with the other priorities and so they dropped Dynamo in favor of maintaining the Rhino tools and a bunch of other new things.

4 Likes

I swore the OOTB List.Clean removes nulls… am I incorrect in my thinking?

1 Like

not sure the ootb list.clean can replace…

How aboit genius loci list clean? Or is it called something else? :thinking:

Yes guess that one is great for list.clean but not replace

Oh sorry, i read this on the fly.

here are some replacements for this node.

4 Likes

ah that’s right. forgot it was a replace.

2 Likes

Not that you are looking at the Panel nodes, but just for context we are releasing our own Panel nodes soon in Dynamo :slight_smile: Here’s a sneak peak…

Edit:
These are all native to our Geometry kernel and are pretty fast and responsive :star_struck: The nodes need a few more helpers as they are currently meshes and need to be promoted into Surfaces as needed.

10 Likes

I wouldn’t necessarily say they have a bad relationship with Autodesk. I’ve certainly seen them challenge/question them at times with some choices, but many of us have done that (me included). If all we do is flash two thumbs up at Autodesk, they won’t see a need to develop/improve. Constructive criticism is necessary. Anyway…

Nathan/Proving Ground are only a few people so they had to pick their battles and focus on where their tools get the most use. As hard as it may be to believe, Lunchbox gets a lot more use by Grasshopper users for not just the panel nodes, but their ML and Excel read/write nodes. Lunchbox for Dynamo was if anything just an offshoot from Nathan’s core focus with Lunchbox for Gh.

Grasshopper has had a much more forgiving development process with less builds/hurdles/versions to contend with so I’m guessing this made Gh more appealing for them, particularly given you can run Lunchbox from within Rhino Inside Revit. I seem to recall reading that this was part of the logic as to why they didn’t see a need to continue Lunchbox for Dynamo natively, and the sunsetting of Dynamo LB lined up with the launch of RIR or thereabouts.

For some very basic surfaces you could look at using their domain or isocurves to quad divide them, but looks like Dynamo has some great tools on the way, nice one Sol and team!

in synthezise toolkit they have adapted some of lunchbox nodes and should work

3 Likes