Loading a Single Family into several .rvt files

@erfajo Load multiple families from a folder

I want to take a single .rfa and load it into several .rvt’s by selecting them through a directory.

I used your load LoadFamily to select the family and then used your Directory Contents all to gather the .rvt’s but I do not know how to make the family load into several .rvt’s

Is that something you would have to write in a script?

Okay Thank you.

Even though @erfajo didn’t give a satisfying answer it’s still the correct answer. I’d like to ask you to still mark it as solution so others won’t come here to help you and find out there’s nothing to answer. Next to that people with a similar question will already know that it is answered.

1 Like

Well I found a Add-in for Revit that can do the function I asked about so if anyone is looking, they can find the solution at CTC BIM Batch Suite at https://apps.autodesk.com. it’s free to use the tool for loading multiple families into multiple Projects.

1 Like

I guess so.
The forum guidelines don’t really say something about that.
Sure the forum should focus on Dynamo, but considering Dynamo already is a piece of software that’s often (if not generally) used to influence other software it is bound to happen that the solution may lie (sometimes partially) outside of Dynamo.
If you think your first comment should be the formal solution to this topic I wouldn’t disagree though.

Considering the solution to quite a number of problems might boil down to read data -> python script -> export data it’s a bit fuzzy anyway. It might be a good idea to come up with some rules for that, but I’m no moderator, neither am I on topic.:upside_down_face:

I know you’re not a moderator. For myself it’s not exactly a goal to become one. I just ended up a “regular” by trying to lean Dynamo, which I’m now using to create graphs to improve Revit workflow. I noticed that trying to help people can really improve your skills with something so being active on this forum is both a win for me and the people I am helping.
I haven’t put much thought into putting “regular” behind my name, I’m thinking there’s much more skilled people on this forum that didn’t get that badge.

1 Like

Happened pretty fast for me. Even before I was aware of these titles there were several names/faces I saw popping up constantly.

2 Likes

Hi!
@erfajo I’ve actually modified slightly the python code in one of your nodes, so it can load multiple families to multiple project (or a single family into multiple projects). I’m actually very thankful since I learnt some tricks from your nodes.

This is the code.
I have a blogpost about it, I don’t know if it is ok to share it here, but if it’s not I’ll edit that out:

4 Likes

I think @viktor_kuzev post here is a good example of how amazing this community is.

Yes, but apparently it means just that - it’s not visible to the user, but it’s still modifiable.
It opens many doors.
Now that I look at the code I think that it would probably be better to close each document right after it has been modified. In the example above the script opens all documents, loads the families in them and then closes them in a separate loop.

1 Like

I am new to Dynamo so forgive me if my question is basic. @erfajo i am using you graph to update title blocks in many projects. the problem that i am running into is that I end up being the owner of the work set after I run the script. I believe it is in the “File.LoadFamily” node. (can’t inspect the code of the node) If this is correct could you add a line of code that will relinquish all work sets.

Hey Viktor, this link to your blog post broke. I went to your website and found it. Just thought you’d like to update it here if possible.