List structure issue when trying to union filled region

Hey Guys,

I stomped upon a road block when trying to union the areas of various filled regions. Please see the attached image and .dyn file.

I have 3 separate groups of filled regions:
First group is blank with no filled regions
Second group has 2 filled regions
Third group has 1 filled region

I would like to perform the area union calculation within each groups, the result should have 3 total union areas, one for each group.

However, the issue arise when I tried to convert the groups of filled region into polylines and then solid union operation later on.
I believe this could be a list miss-match related problem. But I have no idea how to go forward from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Filled Region Union.dyn (34.3 KB)

1 Like

I believe it will be solved by using Levels in the curves input on the first polycurve node - I’ll test a solution for you in Dynamo and post shortly.

Edit: @shkattii, see below. Levels is the fix.

Hi Gav,

Thank you for the quick response.
At the moment the areas from the three groups are all added together. But I would like to perform the area union calculation within each group and the result should have 3 total union areas, one for each group.

How can I get the result to show:

group 1 union area = ?
group 2 union area = ?
group 3 union area = ?

@shkatti I suspected that might be the case, so I set up that rogue ‘List chop’ pathway in the example image also :slight_smile:

If you run that through a patch/area function also, and then feed it through the following example (but instead of ‘list create’ just feed the output into the ‘list map’ input, it should sum each sub-list. I’d run it on the original example but I just started upgrading a massive model so all I have available is Dynamo 0.9 in 2016 until it’s finished!

Hi GavC,

I’ve attempted the above, but I still wasn’t able to get it work. Please see the image below. Any ideas what I should do?

The script needs restructuring. Collect your areas from filled regions as sublists - you should only run the list map/sum function right at the end of the script once you have the sublists (see above, where I have fed the lists in). All the list map does is say ‘sum each sub-list, then return them at that index as a total value’.

Hope that helps, send over the .dyn if you need more assistance.

Sorry I still failed to get it working. Here’s the dyn file. Your help is greatly appreciated.

FILLED REGION UNION_.DYN (36.6 KB)

Thanks, I’ll have a look this afternoon (Aussie time) and get back to you (hopefully with a running version :slight_smile:)

You are amazing mate!

1 Like

So… had a look into it. I’ve tweaked the script to deal with empty, 1/2/3 filled region groups as a test.

I don’t think you need to use a union or solid/thicken process given the regions are 2D - hopefully I’ve understood your input requirements correctly.

I’ve ended up using level management in order to keep the list structure intact until right at the end, where I calculate the total area of each group.

Hope that works and helps! It was a fun little excercise :slight_smile:

Solution using levels.dyn (27.7 KB) !solution%20using%20levels

Hi GavC,

I tested out your graph. However I’m not getting a ‘union area between shapes’. Union area is an area without overlaps, a silhouette if you like, and not simply an addition of areas.

Oh… they can overlap - OK, the union method makes sense now. Just re-introduce the solid/union/top face method you had before after the surface by patch, and connect the output surface(s) up to the area measurement node - assuming you keep the levels intact it should hopefully still work and keep the sub-lists in order.

I’ll try to get it to work on my side also actually… it may need a special method to handle empty lists as they will become nulls.

@shkattii

OK… think I’ve found a solution. We can take the centroid of the solid unions and take an intersect on XY plane to get a closed outline. I tried the vector check method but it was problematic when it came to empty lists.

I’ve put a bit more time in as I believe this type of script actually has a lot of merit to my workflows also - lots of my users generate fills for test fits and high level space planning.Try this script

Solution using levels overlaps.dyn (49.8 KB) out…

Thanks heaps mate! I’ve give this a shot today and let you know

1 Like