Lattice Structure (for 3D printing)

Hey guys,

I’m very new to Dynamo and started building first rectangles and arrays in Dynamo Studio.
My goal is to use Dynamo for lattice structures within the additive manufacturing workflow. What I am trying to achieve is the following:

1. I managed to build a cube out of lines. This geometry represents my lattice structure. I now want to Import a Mesh (stl or obj) of a part and fill the inside of the part with my lattice structure.

My problems are:

1. How can I multiply the lattice cube WITHIN the boundary surface of my imported part? The lattice should reach to the inner surface of my hollow part and should be cut off at the touching points.
  2. Is there a possibility of constructing mesh tubes around those cube lines?

Here’s a example of lattice within a part and my Cube and some other lattice structures just to let you know what I’m trying to achieve:

Everything that shows me the direction is super helpful. If you could just tell me the steps or workflow for this problem that would be great. Or even tell me if Dynamo is not the right software for that! Thanks a lot!

Best regards
Merit

Have a look at these topics, they may provide you with some insights. :grinning:

@merit.wagner - based on the example you posted and what you’re asking for, you might want to review NetFabb.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/netfabb/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2018/ENU/NETF-Utility-Optimization/files/GUID-2E81D456-D077-45EF-B0F7-FCA22F041F95-htm.html

Not sure if you’re already in the fabrication space, but at a minimum it may give you some ideas as to how you can progress.

1 Like