Keep Message Box up after Script Complete?

Is there a way to have a popup message that stays after a script has completed its run?

I have a script that generates a report based on the current view compared to an excel file. I’m using the rhythm node simpleUserMessage right now. but I can’t make changes in revit until I close the popup window. ideally I want to to run the script and have the window stick around on my second screen while I fix the model.

As far as I’m aware, those UI nodes run within the current transaction. Your Dynamo graph is technically still running until they’ve been handled. You might be able to open a text file with a message instead, as that could remain open after the transaction completes.

1 Like

I am fairly certain that unless you call to launch an external application (ie: a different desktop application) which runs out of process, the window which pops up will prevent Revit from progressing further.

I can think of a few ways to do this without requiring too big of a lift. The text document was a good one if it is just a non-formatted string. A web page might also work well, and would give more data to work with.

A full solution would likely be to launch an add-in via some form of Revit hosted browser in a new pallet (similar to the issues add-in, or the shared views add-in) and utilize that to display data which you pack into the extensible storage data in the RVT.

1 Like

@jacob.small thanks. that was good advice

I’ve been just using windows snip. But needed to polish it a bit before rolling it out company wide.

Here is the python code if anyone wnat s to do similar

import sys
sys.path.append(r"C:\Program Files (x86)\IronPython 2.7\Lib")

import subprocess
subprocess.Popen([r"notepad.exe",IN[0]])
OUT = IN[0]

just plugin your temp saved .txt file and it’ll background open in windows.

1 Like