Issue during installation of Dynamo


#1

In the last two weeks I had an issue with Dynamo: i couldn’t update it. I tried downloading the new version 2.0.0 from the site and installing it. I encountered some problem and I found out through some question of other users that the majority of installation issue are caused by a conflict with older versions of Dynamo. I unistalled my version (1.3.2) and I retried the installation but I still had the same problem. I then tried to reinstall the older version both 1.3.2 and 1.3.3 and the issue was now diffused on the other installations too.
When I try to install any Dynamo version the program correctly extract the .msi files in a temp folder but then when the real installation starts it stops itself while installing and a window pop-up both when it tries installing DynamoCore.msi and DynamoRevit.msi

[https://i.imgur.com/eluw5Bu.jpg]

[https://i.imgur.com/pretrJk.jpg]

The text in the windows are a list of comand prompt for Windows installer:

Windows ® Installer. V 5.0.16299.15

msiexec /Option [Optional Parameter]

Install Options
</package | /i> <Product.msi>
Installs or configures a product
/a <Product.msi>
Administrative install - Installs a product on the network
/j<u|m> <Product.msi> [/t ] [/g ]
Advertises a product - m to all users, u to current user
</uninstall | /x> <Product.msi | ProductCode>
Uninstalls the product
Display Options
/quiet
Quiet mode, no user interaction
/passive
Unattended mode - progress bar only
/q[n|b|r|f]
Sets user interface level
n - No UI
b - Basic UI
r - Reduced UI
f - Full UI (default)
/help
Help information
Restart Options
/norestart
Do not restart after the installation is complete
/promptrestart
Prompts the user for restart if necessary
/forcerestart
Always restart the computer after installation
Logging Options
/l[i|w|e|a|r|u|c|m|o|p|v|x|+|!|*]
i - Status messages
w - Nonfatal warnings
e - All error messages
a - Start up of actions
r - Action-specific records
u - User requests
c - Initial UI parameters
m - Out-of-memory or fatal exit information
o - Out-of-disk-space messages
p - Terminal properties
v - Verbose output
x - Extra debugging information
+ - Append to existing log file
! - Flush each line to the log
* - Log all information, except for v and x options
/log
Equivalent of /l*
Update Options
/update <Update1.msp>[;Update2.msp]
Applies update(s)
/uninstall [;Update2.msp] /package <Product.msi | ProductCode>
Remove update(s) for a product
Repair Options
/f[p|e|c|m|s|o|d|a|u|v] <Product.msi | ProductCode>
Repairs a product
p - only if file is missing
o - if file is missing or an older version is installed (default)
e - if file is missing or an equal or older version is installed
d - if file is missing or a different version is installed
c - if file is missing or checksum does not match the calculated value
a - forces all files to be reinstalled
u - all required user-specific registry entries (default)
m - all required computer-specific registry entries (default)
s - all existing shortcuts (default)
v - runs from source and recaches local package
Setting Public Properties
[PROPERTY=PropertyValue]

Consult the Windows ® Installer SDK for additional documentation on the
command line syntax.

Copyright © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
Portions of this software are based in part on the work of the Independent JPEG Group.

From what I could see on the internet the problem could be either caused by a missing link or by a Windows problem
I tried some solutions (like the register/unregister commands in the prompt) but it seems nothing is working.
The funny thing is that if I open the temporary folder of the installation and I run the .msi by themselves they work fine. The problem is that it is not a solution being that while I can install Dynamo Core just fine the DynamoRevit.msi cannot be run by itself

I’m running Windows 10 and I have Revit 2018

Thanks


#2

I finally found the solution. I’m posting it for anyone who could encounter my same problem in the future:
in my case the problem was that I changed my temporary folder to be in a different location having for my C: drive a SSD with limited space I moved it from the default location to my second drive.
Dynamo was able to extract the files in my temporary folder but, apparently it couldn’t read the .msi from this new path.
Said so for checking you should go to Control Panel

Click System

Click Advanced System Settings

b7e0c212-bd6a-4fa9-bb5e-23c347c8b906

Click Environment Variables

and change the path both for TMP and TEMP to

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp

Than reboot