I am hoping to get some advice on what would be the most logical approach to convert a sat file into Revit building model.
The sat file is created in Grasshopper, we have currently loaded the model into the project and manually assigned curtain wall by face. The issue is on the main facade, the sub-division will go through quite some changes in the design development stage, meaning the number of panels will change. Hence we won’t be able to fully rely on wall by face update with the panel number discrepancy.
I have looked into Importing Sat. to Revit for reference. Heres my thoughts on how to make a start on the script;
Select model -> Get all faces -> filter vertical faces only -> assign curtain wall
This process will require creating new faces with every iteration, which means I will lose all the relevant dimensions/tags. I could be wrong
You could try adaptive panels
I’m still new to Dynamo but I did get my graph working to import sat files. But I’m not sure my method will help you. I created a graph that imports individual sat files from a folder directory into Revit by creating a family for each instance based on the name of the sat file. This allows me to update the families in the project by basically creating a new family with the same name and overwriting the existing family. I added a step after the Spring node that creates the families to delete new instances if there is already an instance with the same name.
Maybe this will help?
This is the kind of a question that we can’t really help you here. It’s a really quite a big task to get a mass from Rhino converted into Revit native families. Sure, there are ways to do that, but this forum is not really a good place to ask a very general question. The answer would be really more like 100 small answers because the whole process is a little more involved than: do this and that.
Basically, its possible, but its quite involved so I don’t think you will get a detailed answer here. Try breaking down your question into a series of small questions. For example:
@m.rijsmus suggested that you can do an Adaptive Components for this. Sure, that’s one of the ways. Let’s say that you want to do that. The steps are something like this:
- prep your Rhino/Grasshopper model to have all the data you need organized in a way that makes sense for your Revit model to read it.
- export your data from Rhino/GH. You can use multiple plugins like Speckle or Grevit
- import your data into Dynamo (Speckle) or directly into Revit (Grevit).
- if you used Speckle, now you have to break down the data and use it to create Revit families from it.
As you can see its more than just one step. This process has always been complicated. That’s why its a freaking pain in the ass.
Anyways, long story short. Ask more specific questions. This is too broad to get any decent answers from anyone.
I do agree with @Konrad_K_Sobon.
In the link (video) it shows an interactive workflow, making this workflow one that “flows”…BIM i suppose is the word
If you can think of a method that has a flow like that, youre good.
Thanks for the graph, I finally have some free time this week to give it a test.
I think this gives a pretty good starting point.
I definitely agree that its a pretty broad question. I guess at this stage, I am still trying to figure out what exactly can be achieved. Currently its more so an open discussion to see how the community has dealt with such workflow. Thanks for your advice however, once I go through Marcel’s video link, by then I hope I will share my journey on the various issues.
Thanks for sharing the link, due to the time constraint, we ended up manually assigning the curtain facade. But i will go through the video and hopefully learn something out of it and apply that to the next phase.