How to update adaptive components without dynamo placing a new set of components

I’ve create a script to place adaptive components on points. I’ve selected the edges of a generic model to use as a framework for the point. When I change the height of the generic model the framework adjusts as expected, however it places new adaptive components families on the updated framework alongside the previously placed AC’s. Every time I run the script or set dynamo on automatic and change the height parameter, a set of new components are placed. Is there node or a workflow to simply adjust the AC’s instead of placing a new set of AC?

Your nodes are illegible. Are you using Python to place your adaptive families? You could have your graph delete existing instances before placing new ones.

No Python used, just OOTB nodes. Here is the graph. AC pattern.dyn (85.3 KB)

You’ll have to post a test project to use as well. I’ll need the adaptive component to test your graph.

Here is the test project

Test project.rfa (1.6 MB)

You’re going to have to explain your graph. What are the inputs? What drives the geometry change?

EDIT: I was able to figure out which curves to select and where, but the issue seems to be how the components are created. I think your best bet is to delete the existing instances and create new ones rather than trying to modify the existing ones. This will allow you to make changes at any time.

Basically, I’ve created a generic model which is a representation of a prefab concrete wall with bricks. I use the rectangular openings (select edges node) to drive the geometry changes. In other words, when I change the height or the width of the generic model, the placed adaptive components should flex as well. Since you can’t load adaptive components into a generic model family, I loaded the generic model and adaptive component member family into an empty adaptive component model family template. There I select the edges and run the script.

If I opt to delete the adaptive components and place new ones each time I want to make changes, I’ll have to go to the painstaking process of cutting each member (unless there is a node that joins each member) and rotating them manually since the members don’t seem to want to rotate around it’s axis through Dynamo

Is this a standard workflow of deleting families each time you want to make changes in these types of situations where dynamo is used to place families? And if so, is there a node to delete the families before placing new once?

It depends on the workflow and how the families or components are created. Dynamo owned elements will usually update with changes to the graph. Python or Revit owned elements are committed to the model when they’re created and will not be updated with changes to the graph.

Archi-lab has an Element.Delete node that deletes elements from a project, but you will have to have Dynamo select those elements for you.