How to place family along curve with node curve.planeatparameter?

how to place my created family along curve with node curve.planeatparameter?
i found simple gemotry can drawn on the plane but how can i place the familyinstance on the plane along curve? tks.

divide that curve in equal segments Curve.PointsAtEqualChordLength

Use those list of points for placing family using FamilyInstance.ByPoint or FamilyInstance.ByPointandLevel :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

thanks for reply. but how to control the orientation? need to be normal to curve…

Curve.Normal or Curve.NormalAtparameter should work. haven’t tried because i dont have sample file

I would go with Curve.CoordinateSystemAtParameter, then feed the resulting coordinate system(s) into two nodes. CoordinateSystem.Origin and CoordinateSystem.XAxis (or Y, or Z). Place the family instance at the resulting origin points and use the vectors to rotate the item into place. The specifics of placement and rotation will vary by how you built your family.

2 Likes

thanks a lot. will try

Did you get this to work as I’m having the same problem?

no. i think follow previous reply can work.

Thanks Frederic. @jacob.small have you got an example of these nodes in action? I’m new to Dynamo so appreciate all your help.

Hey @Frederic and @adrianhg4 ,

I do not have a lot of experience with Coordinatesystems, but i would approach this problem like this:
*Note: I changed the lacing on the FamilyInstance.SetRotation node to longest to copy the rotation value of the last, minus one, instance to the last instance.
This could easily be solved by used TangentAtParameter with input 1 in hindsight

This will result in this:

File below:

FamilyInstance by Chord Length, together with Rotation.dyn (65.3 KB)

1 Like

Dynamo Dictionary might help. :slight_smile:

@Daan thanks for the graph, this looks exactly like what I’m trying to achieve. Cheers @jacob.small for the link, I’ll have a look when I can get access to it as work has locked this out. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like