How to Identify/Isolate Intersecting Polylines Only

I have been tracking with some recent posts about detecting polyline intersections, and am now starting to look forward at my next step in this project. I need to be able to fillet only the polylines that intersect, but not fillet any other polylines in the drawing.

My first thought was to try and identify the lines with which run through the cogo points that are at each intersection, but with that I realized I still don’t know how to do that. Does anyone know what the best solution for this would be?

I’m looking to only fillet the intersecting yellow lines so that the line coming from the vertex turns left and curves north, but it seems like a fillet command will also adjust the vertex as well, which is what I want to avoid.

Hi @mkneadler,

A couple thoughts on this. Are you trying to recreate the behavior of the AutoCAD FILLET command? In other words, do you want the polylines to be trimmed and joined properly? Or do you just want to compute the arc segment in Dynamo and output that as a new entity? I’m asking because the first option is going to prove very difficult. There is no node to do this, mainly because there is no nicely-packaged API method that allows you to do something really simple like Polyline.Fillet(), so it ends up becoming a lengthy math problem to compute the fillet.

The second option would be a little easier because Dynamo has an Arc.ByFillet node that you could use. But again, that will just generate a Dynamo arc that you could then output to model space, but the original polylines are not modified.

If that isn’t an option, then maybe it’s possible to take a step back and see if the workflow could be different such that the polylines are generated from scratch instead of treating them as an input and then trying to modify them later.

1 Like