Intersecting lines not generating points

Hi,

Not really a new topic, but I can’t seem to find the answer in similar the threads.

I have a drawing that had a block for spot levels. These have for some reason been exploded into lines. I want the intersection point (what would have likely been the insertion point of the block) but when I try and run the geometry intersect node it doesn’t return a point but just the lines again.

Is the intersection node the correct one to use? Should i be trying to re draw the lines as dynamo objects and then finding the intersection? I tried this but couldn’t seem to get a CAD line into a poly curve. (Couldn’t figure out how to extract the coordinates for the start and end)

Thanks

Mark

Use Intersection.FindIntersections to get the intersecting points of lines. You may have to use the Element.Geometry node to convert the lines first.

Thanks for the suggestion but I can’t seem to find that node.

If you get the line length of the intersect node, divide it by .5 and use the node point at line segment (or something like that) what do you get?

Maybe providing pictures could help?

Hi @mark.reeveTXANL geometry intersect should be the right node to use if you set lacing to cross and filter the lines out and use a prune duplicates, or you could try curve intersect from bimorph

2 Likes

…Typical resolution; wasn’t reading the instructions properly! Set Geometry intersect to Cross product and seemed to work

1 Like

Now that I found out why it wasnt working;the amount of information seems to be too much for my PC. I have done a little bit more reading and noticed that the intersect geometry node is really inefficient. Can someone enlighten me to a more efficient way of getting the intersection point.

The suggestion by @pyXam makes sense, but I don’t know how to do that, how do i get that property information from the items in the drawing? i.e. length, start xyx, end xyz etc without creating the geometry in dynamo?

In addition to the above I need to be able to create the graph without python (I dont understand it at all and due to company policies seem unable to run them), I only have Civil 3D so am unable to use Revit packages like BiMorph.

Thanks

1 Like

Allright…thought it was revit…thats why it is important give the thread a category :wink:

Apologies - I created this last night after a few frustrating hours!

1 Like

Try the geometry intersect node from the bimorphnodes package

FindIntersections is from lunchbox if you are able to use it. Not sure if that will work since you are in Civil3D.

Are the intersecting lines on the same plane?
acad_Px2NOxe0ll

1 Like

@sovitek Yes they are.

Can you post a DWG with say 10 of the exploded blocks in it? Include the text note and other info is possible. My gut says we can get information about the objects such as the point at parameter 0.5 for all curves of a given length and direction, or something similar. Will be many orders of magnitude faster than any geometry intersections.

Hi,

This is a small area of the topo in question. What my original intention was:

1. Create points at the intersections of the crosshairs whilst retaining the z elevation of the line (each set of cross hairs will have different elevations)
  2. Convert the lines into 3D polylines
  3. Gather the vertices of the newly converted 3d polylines and the points created from the intersections.
  4. Compare the two and remove the duplicates leaving only the spot elevations which have no corresponding 3D linework.
    5.Place ACAD points in the drawing of the remaining spot elevations.

Topo Example.dwg (1.4 MB)

To make things a little harder, I only have access to Dynamo when run through C3D and Civil 3D/AutoCAD. My company also appears to have blocked the running of python scripts (even though I probably don’t know how to use them properly) so I’m not sure they will be of much practical use to me.

I appreciate that much of the above is probably covered in previous posts/manuals of dynamo however I am very new to creating dynamo graphs/coding etc so find it a bit overwhelming and end up losing hours reading things that might not even help, so value any practical help. - My ideas often outrun my ability and am playing catch-up; which I often do; just don’t expect me to have read everything in the 4 weeks I have been using Dynamo.

Thanks

1 Like

Going to look this now - hope Civil 3D 2023 is an ok build as it’s all I have installed at the moment. :slight_smile:

Thanks @jacob.small it is much appreciated. I only have 2020 but I cant think that would be a massive issue.

You might be surprised, ass this is an unsupported software version (Supported versions are the current version and three proceeding versions).

You should look to upgrade to a supported build soon. Reason for the upgrade is that there is no support, so if a security vulnerability is produced it may not be patched. Or if your DWG corrupts or another problem arises my colleagues in support may not be able to help, and whatever help they can provide is likely to be delayed.

This graph will run fine in 2023 - give it a shot in 2020 after you rebuild. Note that your UI will be quite different as there was a visual refresh in Dynamo 2.13; Also some things may not be available in your build, so you may have to get creative to work-around the issue.

Un-Explode Blocks.dyn (235.2 KB)

Thank you very much @jacob.small!!

Re: upgrading - Out of my control; no matter how much I scream and shout (and me and others have definitely shouted!) it is all dictated by company policy and IT department.

But even with the above in mind seeing how to approach/what to use it will be helpful regardless of the version of C3D! Once again much appreciated!