How to host face-based families on elements in linked Revitmodels

@ViniXavier firstly, please be more specific about your problem as you’ll get an answer faster. I think what you mean is, you haven’t be able to host face-based families on linked elements.

If that is the case, the problem is caused by the face reference from the linked element (which is stored in the Dynamo surface derived from the face) not calling the required method from Revit’s Reference class (CreateLinkReference() specifically) so any attempts to use say, OOTB FamilyInstace.ByFace node to place the light fixture, fails as the reference is invalid.

As far as I’m aware, no OOTB or custom nodes call this method either so I’ve added it to the Bimorph LinkElement.Faces node to enable support. It looks like this method/functionality has been around at least since Revit 2016 looking at the API’s, so there shouldn’t be any version limitations either.

You’ll find the update in BimorphNodes v2.2.7 available for download via the Package Manager.

@Kulkul I would also suggest renaming the OP title to: How to host face-based families on elements in linked Revit models in case other Dynamo users experience the same issue, it’ll be easier to find :+1:

8 Likes