How to generate a new parameter for rooms? and fill it out whit a list of values

hello everybody,

i cant find a way to create and assign a new shared parameter to the rooms and than fill it out whit a list of values that i alrady have, all whitout using any package/add-on.

thanks in advance

What have you tried so far?

Have you read this post?

sorry…didn’t read…
for the moment i’m here, but no idea why the values from the list dosent show up in the room propriertis

Instead of Parameter.ParameterByName try an Element.SetParameterValueByName.

Also before you pass the name to that node you should confirm the parameter exists by using the resulting value from a WaitFor method, configured to pass the parameter name after the parameter is created. Alternatively you could run this as two graphs - one to make the parameter and one to set the value(s).

1 Like

actually it perfectly works if i put in the parmaetr name a sistem parameter like “Comments” but dosent work whit my shared parameter…

Not while - WaitFor. There are a lot of packages with this node in it, and several discussions k. The forum for it. Basically put this in a codeblock: [passThrough, waitFor][0];. This will ensure the output to the ‘WaitFor’ input is complete before the ‘passThrough’ value is fed to the next node.

You are seeing ‘room’ from the set parameter node as the room’s are having their parameter values set. If you think of it this way, when you grab the room element in the Revit UI and set the parameter value manually you are operating at the room not the parameter element (which is what you were doing before).

problem is that for my office i need to make a script that dosent use packs or add/on for make it usable from everybody.

i have tried to put the “comments” name for parameters and works perfectly, but dosent whit my shared parameter, why??? :upside_down_face:

thank you @jacob.small, solution found!

Newer builds of Dynamo will tell the user to install the missing package. In the end once you get to a certain level of complexity you actually save tons of time managing packages instead of managing 8 versions of the same Python code spread across between 4 and 10 Dynamo for Revit versions.

1 Like

Assuming your office has some sort of guide or wiki on how to run this tool, just give them one showing how to install the packages too. Whilst where I work we used automation to push out packages for a while, you will be better off teaching users this at first I think. Builds curiosity, shows them the behind the scenes environment and builds culture around dynamo vs simplifying down to another button to press.

From experience I am aware none of that is easy, and most users do just want to whack buttons but if you so much as entice one person into your office into dynamo it will pay off down the line and forms a better business case for dynamo than one person making tools for the firm (been that guy before, not fun being misunderstood for a living!).

1 Like