How to find and edit cogo points by description?

I am trying to create my first dynamo program to speed up a workflow we use when doing asbuilt drawings.
The drawings are plan & profiles for storm & sanitary sewer systems. Once the project gets to the asbuilt phase we receive a survey point file for the locations of the built structures. The new points have a few user-defined properties (UDPs). I want to edit the new cogo point properties using valunes from a pipe network.

Here is a breakdown of what I an trying to do with this program:

1. Each pipe network structure has an unique name (ie 27S) and description (ie “MANHOLE W/ LOCKING LID”).
  2. The new cogo points has a description that matches the network structures name (27S). These points are in a point group called “ASBUILTS”
  3. I want to transfer the description (ie “MANHOLE W/ LOCKING LID”) from the pipe network structure to the UDP on the corresponding cogo point.

This is as far as I have gotten. I cannot figure out how to find the specific point by description and transfer the pipe network description to the cogo point.
I just need a bit of advice on how to get to this next step.

Thanks,
Paul

Searching

Set.description note for cogo point

How do single out a specific point by description within cogopointgroup.cogopoints list before I edit the UDP value for that specific point?

You must looking for List.FilterByBoolMask note

in the forum and how it can be used

And attached Example drawing
that better for your question

Looking at this

1 Like

Oki, let see if I understand
You want to get the structure description from a specific structure and write the structure description to the CoGoPoint with the structure name in the CoGoPoint description?

Does the cogopoints has some kind of property set or at what value do you want to put the structure description?

Please add a example file both dwg and .dyn will make it easier for us to help.

Here is a drawing & .dyn file. I want to be able to transfer a pipe network structure description to a cogo point UDP field. I annotated the drawing to explain it better.
msd asbuilt point data.dyn (24.6 KB)
MSD-ASBUILT-TEST-DRAWING.dwg (1.3 MB)

Thanks, Paul

Good job with your first graph @Paul.Graf !!

Not a big thing but I did some changes in your script.

Original

My version

1. I feel more convenient to use the code block and the type point group name with " " instead of using the String node and then I saw that the Point group name where written with capital letters so I changed that.
  2. I read the structure name from the Cogo Point description (as I understood, they where the same?)
  3. I used the Point from Cogopointgroup.Cogopoints as a input to point in the last node to add description from structure.
  4. I removed the ”first item at index” the combine the points and structure description
    msd asbuilt point data_ver2.dyn (22.2 KB)

Hope it will help
Regards,
Patrick

Thank you very much! It works great. I am anxious to start learning Dynamo. I’ve only programmed in Autolisp before. This is only one step of a multi-function I have been planning in my head for a while. My next step is to compare the distance between the structure and the asbuilt point and if that distance is 5 foot or greater I need to insert a block at the cogo points location. Hopefully, I can figure that out on my own.

1 Like

Hi Patrick, would you be so kind to explain why you used the “Code Block” vs the String? What makes it more convenient? Thanks, Paul

Maybe it’s more as a bad habit but I feel that it’s easier to double click and write what I want (string, double or number) instead of the specific node. Then I also have seen that the number node is a little tricky with decimals

The primer summarize it pretty good :slight_smile:
What’s a Code Block - Dynamo (dynamobim.org)

1 Like

Thanks again!

1 Like

9 posts were split to a new topic: Filtering points by distance