Sorting Cogo Points into Point Groups via Raw Description within Dynamo

Hello, I’m looking for a way to sort cogo points into their respective point groups after they have been generated via CSV in Dynamo.

Current node workflow within Dynamo is as follows:

• Data.ImportCSV
  • Point.ByCoordinates
  • CogoPoint.ByGeometry
  • CogoPointGroup.ByCogoPoints

Was able to utilize a List.UniqueItems for the raw descriptions so it only creates one instance of the point group, but at this point every single point goes into each point group that is created. I’m hoping that I can get Dynamo to read each cogo point by their raw descriptions and then sort into their respective point groups.

Any ideas?

1 Like

Can you share a CSV, DYN and any other related files?

1 Like

Looks like it won’t let me attach CSV here, but I’ve created a drawing with the current output. DYN and DWG attached.(OUTPUT)_RD109-MDK-M3-C-0004_MADOT-MQTO_MDPT.dwg (1.2 MB) RD109-INF-0003_MADOT-MQTO_MDPT.dyn (53.7 KB)

can you rename the CSV to a file.csv.txt and attach that?

Sorry about that! Attached. [RD109-RP-003_MADOT_PayItemList.csv.txt|attachment](upload://v8SpQiObrSkkXo59hTRD109-RP-004_MADOT_MDPT.csv.txt (318 Bytes) KFueD8hMW.txt) (616 Bytes)

1 Like

RD109-RP-003_MADOT_PayItemList.csv.txt (616 Bytes)

Hey Jacob, just wanted to touch back on this and see if you had any ideas? I think I should be able to get back to attempting a python script soon, but wanted to check and see if you had a chance to glance at it.

Okay I got it to work on a limited basis and have attached an updated script for anyone that was interested in the potential workflow.RD109-INF-0003_MADOT-MQTO_MDPT.dyn (75.6 KB)
The issue I’m currently dealing with is trying to maintain a dynamic relationship with the point groups after import. The point group is created “with numbers matching” checked in the include tab of the point group properties. If I could only get it to create the point group “with raw descriptions matching” checked.

3 Likes

I am curious. Did this work properly in the end? I am trying to programatically create point groups by using the CogoPoinGroup.byCogoPoints node like you did and have a list of group names and a nested list with the points and I cannot seem to be able to create more than 1 group. As soon as I use a list as input to the node, nothing happens. Get no error, but no point groups either.

Hi @peterfarkas,

Consider checking out the Dynamo Primer! I think this example might help :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Oh wow this is brilliant. Thank you.

My graph is much more complicated than this one :slight_smile: Nice to solve this without python nodes like I did hehe :smiley: I definitely learned something today.

1 Like