How to explode Revit families similar to blocks in AutoCAD

How to explode Revit families similar to blocks in AutoCAD.

I got a video clip on YouTube which shows the Revit Family Exploded.
Here is the link below:

After watching these clips, I thought maybe this could happen in Dynamo !!

Hi @ratnakar.v.t

It is not possible to explode families in Revit. Both Revit and Autocad has its own functions. However you can get the geometries of Revit families using Dynamo. Cheers!

1 Like

I am only just venturing into Dynamo Player. Can you tell me how I create the script to ‘Explode Family’ you used when you ran the dynamo player?

1 Like

So I know this post is a bit old, but managed to make a Dynamo graph to explode families and I wanted to share it.

Graph info:

• Revit 2022.1
  • Dynamo 2.12.0.XXXX
  • Packages:
    • spring nodes 204.1.0
    • archi-lab.net 2022.212.2722
    • Orchid 212.1.0.7978

I made this a little bit ago so I don’t remember everything about it. I’m sure I used some things I found online to make it (not including packages).

To use the graph, place your family you want to explode, run the graph, select the family (only 1 at a time) and hit escape when done. Note: Your family needs to have all the nested families be shared so Dynamo can detect them. Otherwise, the graph wont be able to detect non-shared families and ignore them. Also, since you can pick more than one element at a time when running the graph, it only uses the last item picked.

Basically this graph takes the family you selected, detects the nested families, gets all their coordinates, rotation, flip state, and all parameter values, and recreates those families in the same places as separate components and sets their parameters to match. It detects if a family is line based or not. If the family is line based, it makes a temporary work plane and sets the family on it. It then deletes the original element (optional).

I’m sure the graph could be improved, I only made it to fit my scenario so it may not work with all families. In fact, I already broke and improved it a few times. Hope this helps someone!

Explode family with nested families.dyn (210.1 KB)

2 Likes