Has anyone had experience testing people for Dynamo skills?
A colleague brought it up to me when asking how he could find the right skills for a role that required Dynamo. It seems like we take each other’s word for it because there isn’t a Dynamo ‘white board’ coding test or anything like that.
I know it may sound excessive to test someone instead of looking for their experience and examples but it’s a good point to make if you don’t have much else to refer to from the prospect’s application.
So what would be a standard way to challenge a user to see if they have the skills and aren’t making things up for a position?
Here’s how I would create a basic QA session about Dynamo for a prospect.
- How many years have you been using Dynamo?
- What have you used the software for?
- Are you familiar with different packages of nodes?
- How comfortable are you with list management in Dynamo?
- Describe the most complex script you made and what it is used for
- How would you create a custom node and when would this be a good idea to do
- What nodes and methods would you use to import non-Revit model content (rhino, Civil 3D, CAD, etc) into Revit elements using Dynamo?
- Describe a way you can import room geometry from one Revit model into another using Dynamo
- How would you start a Python node template, what content would go into the code?
- Can you think of a script that can write content from a spreadsheet to update a Revit schedule which then updates a the Sheet index?
- How would you take linestyles from one model and convert them to linestlyes into another model?
That’s all off the top of my head.
These are issues we see on this forum all the time so many of us would be accustomed to solutions for these problems. Though it does feel like either I am missing something or these questions aren’t good enough.
This udemy course has some Dynamo skills training content:
Anyone have examples of interview questions that would be good to find out a person’s Dynamo standing? It would be great to see perspectives from people working in Construction, MEP, Civil and other fields.