Give me Dynamo ideas!

Today is my last work day this year whooooo…

So I want to do something a bit more fun (but vaguely related to work)…

Anyone got any suggestions as to Dynamo scripts I can make today?

1 Like

How about a kinetic adaptive family with some controlling parameters?
Or something that moves like this one

4 Likes

I’m still wanting a dynamo based version of battleships / Tetris / doom

4 Likes

YES! Agree on that - Doom :slight_smile:

Ok, I’ll bite.

Here are 4 ideas related to building design that I’ve toyed with when given a half day or so.

Idea 1: Introductory carbon calculation tool:

Beginner: Extract the total quantity of every material in the primary design option.
Intermediate: Make the material quantity work for all models in the project.
Advanced: Trigger a UI to map the total material quantities to a carbon cost, and save the project name, material carbon cost and project carbon cost to a csv.

Idea 2: MEP closet location

Beginner: Place an MEP closet of a given dimension on the floor plate at a given location on a wall.
Intermediate: Evaluate the distance from that closet to all fixtures as an approximation of efficiency.
Advanced: Utilise Generative Design to optimise the location of the MEP closet on the floor plate.

Idea 3: Ceiling Equipment Locator

Intermediate: Identify the centre point of all complete ceiling tiles.
Advanced: Adjust the location of all ceiling mounted equipment so that each is on its own centre point, with the least amount of change in the system layout.
Expert: Update the connecting systems as well.

Idea 4:

Beginner: Extract all standard room data from the active project (name, number, department).
Intermediate: Include info on the exterior wall access, and windows in the room.
Intermediate: Include data on rooms connecting by door, wall opening, or room separation line.
Advanced: Generate a bubble diagram from the collected data, with each bubble sized by the area, color set by department, line style set by % of window openings relative to area, and connections indicated by lines between the bibles with a variable line style for each type of connection.

5 Likes

Well… This is going well :laughing:

“Phase” isn’t a parameter…

3 Likes

:rofl: :person_facepalming:

I don’t think my mind was really on the job today.

2 Likes

The Category.ByName bug is known and should be fixed in Revit 2025 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ideas for an architectural project:

1. Area chart engine: export area and room calculations to excel sheet (totals, and by level: gross floor area, build up area, lot coverage, floor area ratio, efficiency, indoor net area, outdoor net area, landscaped coverage, etc…)

2. Replace parts of sheet parameter value: usually used to renumber or rename sheets after transitioning to another project phase, similar graph can be made for views or shedules

3. Interior finishes by rooms: set room volume computations in revit and use room volume, area, and boundary to generate floors, ceilings, and wall finishes. Join the wall finishes with the partitions.

4. Join geometry of clashed elements: choose two categories, look for clashes, and clean up sloppy work just by joining the geometries. You use this dirty method when you don’t have time. It will clean hundreds of details.

5. Structural framing by CAD layers: if structural engineers use AutoCAD, use dwg as an initial reference to generate Revit elements

6. Set instance marks of elements of a category by Z,Y,X position

7. Elevation depth: this one challenges your creativity, because there are be different ways to do it, some are better than others, and none is perfect. How would you annotate depth in an elevation view?

8. Another interesting challenge: imagine you work on a big project that contains links (for example, each level can be a link, or each apartment can be a link, or each hotel guestroom can be a link). You get a request to set unique door mark for each door in the project. How would you do it?

9. Control Revit link overrides in many view templates at once.

3 Likes

Ill give you a nice little challenge :stuck_out_tongue:

Make a script that circumnavigates the lack of functionally / control that we have over groups.

For example, you want run a script over elements that are contained in groups (a good example would be to amend the host level of all MEP elements in the project)

It is impossible to use the API to make changes within a group (instance parameters are OK but nothing else really) so consider that there are multiple instances of the group, that are tagged on various views (perhaps even with annotation groups attached) and you need to retain the groups post script so other modeling workflows remain un impacted.

Good luck!

2 Likes