Getting Outer-edge curve of a building

I wanna get an outer curve from a building . Is there any method we can convert the building model somehow into a geometry and get its outer curves. I am interested in getting its outer curves which i could use for creating insulation walls directly outside.

HI @shershahbacha9

you can use this:

2 Likes

i just need outer boundary. This is just example. In actual project it could have a lot inner walls

Have you even tried the script shown above?

The script gives the desired output, namely outer boundary.

yes i tried but first i filtered only outer walls of all the walls and then used your script. it works

you can skip filtering outer walls and select all walls placed in your project.

1 Like

yes i tried and it works even without filtering outer walls. Thanks

Hello,
Thank you for discovering this wonderful Node

cordially
christian.stan

its going good but when the walls are not closed and not making loop then its making problem. For example, i am using it for Basement level walls and when there is open space without walls for Ramp. there it makes problem as its not making close loop of walls then.

can you share the basement level of your builidng here?

Just as an example in this picture. The red encircled area has no wall and open

first you can retrieve the wall widths from selected walls. If you have only one width then its better.

comparing curve lengths with the widths you can define at what places the outline changes the direction in or out. Assuming that between two nulls outer or inner curves lay. Having them seperated you can calculate the total length. A biiger value indicates on outer curves.

ok i am going to try. But actually at this node Surface.OuterPerimeterCurves make problem as it gets perimeter curve of one small surface section out of whole

just use the standard node Surface.PerimeterCurves instead

I usually solve this by using rooms instead of walls. Join them all by level then slice the union of them, project back to level. If your model is messy or not using rooms there’ll be issues though of course.

find outer boundaries.rvt (1.4 MB)
get outer edge of rooms by level.dyn (37.5 KB)

1 Like

Hey Aussie BIM Guru !
First of all thanks for replying. I do watch your videos and learnt alot from you. In this example, i think we get the curves but on middle of boundary walls , not exactly outer edge , right ??

Hi, which package do i have to install to get Surface.OuterPerimeterCurves?

Spring nodes

1 Like