Getting linked room boundaries and edge references

Hi all, I made a script that works with Room.Boundaries node from Clockwork and Compound Edges References node from GeniusLoci. For a list of rooms they should extract boundary curves and edge references. The script worked well when rooms are in the current model, but now the script should work with rooms coming from a linked model. When I put in the rooms from the linked model then those nodes return empty lists. Is there a way I can get these nodes to work for rooms in linked model?

(Edit) Just to share some observations. I have a feeling that the problem doesnt lie with the nodes. But rather with the room objects in the linked model. When I select a linked room in revit, the properties window shows that perimeter is 0.000000. I have a feeling that this relates to Room.Boundaries returning empty lists. Why is this the case, that Area is a proper value, Perimeter is 0.000 and Volume is Not Computed?

@jnoordzij ,

you have to use BIMoprheNodes…

KR

Andreas

@jnoordzij ,

you are right there is some error

check out this

KR

Andreas

Hi Andreas, thanks for your help.
I dont see how the shared information in your link is helpful for this particular case.
Indeed the Room.Boundaries node throws an error consistently. I can reproduce that.

In another script I have worked with the Bimorph nodes. I have checked if the Room.Boundaries node from Clockwork and Compound Edges References node from GeniusLoci work on that script and they do (but the Room.Boundaries node that you shared still fails).

Big difference is that this is a testmodel that I set up myself. Also the linked rooms in the testmodel do have a valid perimiter value. As indicated, the model in the first post doest not show a perimeter value for the linked rooms. I am suspecting this might be related to the issue.

@jnoordzij ,

you need the geometry ? or just the values?

I need the boundary curves and the bounding elements. At this point im really thinking its a modeling issue.

@jnoordzij

i can confirm that, dynamo geometry is not consistent regarding revit geometry representation!

Hi jnoordzij & Draxl,
unfortunately I don’t have a solution either, same problem with revit 2024.2 :angry:

Just some info for the community :

• set links as “attachment” inside the “rooms file” it doesn’t work
  • I have manage to get the boundaries only for rooms delimited with “room separator” (can be a workaround but I do not recomend)
  • funny/angry things : there is no problem at all with “areas”

To work with nested properties of an element you need to be working ‘in the document it’s in’.

This means if you’re inn model A but the room is in model B you need to open model B in order to read information associated to the secondary level elements you need to be in model B not model A. So the trick will be using the API to get model B open and fully generated, and querying the data from there, and then applying any transform which was applied to the link instance. Not an easy thing, but a doable one.