Getting/Editing View templates

Continuing the discussion from Get View template Properties:

I wanted resurface this thread to see if there was any new advances in being able to view and edit the view templates.

On a few different forums I have read that you can’t export and edit the internal options of a view template as they are not saved to any geometry and therefore are not saved.

What I am wanting to do is export all the view templates (and options) we have (there are a bunch) and then be able to view them side-by-side and determine which we should keep, consolidate, delete, etc. Excel seemed like the easiest way to do this.

Just to further clarify what I’m looking to do. I am not wanting to view the view templates and see which boxes to the right that are checked/unchecked. I want to be able to see what options are set to when you click on the ‘edit’ button for each of the categories of a view template.

I want to clean up all of the view templates for our project template file and I can’t think of an efficient way to sort through all of them.

Here are some other sources I found in my research:
-https://archi-lab.net/removing-controlled-parameters-from-view-templates/
-Revit View Type Creation using Excel with Dynamo and Python - Micrographics
-How to access View Template Properties for Revit and compare them in Real Time? - Stack Overflow

Thanks!

A lot of the information you’re looking for is in your linked articles. A ViewTemplate element will essentially work the same as a View element. You just need to get the properties from each template. The final source you linked even shows the method for getting the category overrides. There’s no node or method to just “get all the template information” so you have to build each of the pieces individually. I’d recommend starting with a single ViewTemplate and then once you have that working start modifying it for multiple templates.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking there was possibly the answer when combining all the research sources. I just needed someone else to look at it and let me know.

We can point you in the right direction, but I don’t think anyone will do the research for you if that’s what you’re asking. The first place I’d start would be the API. As I said, some of your linked sources already cover a few specifics, but it’s always good to look over what’s available in the API.

Yeah, I’m not looking for anyone to do the research for me. I’m in the process of learning Python so it is more of someone who knows more than me looking at what I’ve already researched and confirm what I was seeing. I had seen in a few posts where they said you couldn’t export the View Template data because it wasn’t saved. That seemed odd that you couldn’t export it.

I was assuming API was the route to go

That may have been specifically about the RVT Link properties. They are not part of the API and can’t be “saved” without access to the specific links they represent. Otherwise, you should be able to get to most everything else with the API and therefore do whatever you want with it.

1 Like

Ideate has a tool that will do this for you. It works for line types too. It is part of the Ideate aps. Can’t recommend their tools enough.

I’ve looked into it and it does look a viable option. Just testing the waters for a free way to do it through dynamo/python.