Get wall finishes from a specific direction and flip it if it's not in right orientation

Hi, I wonder is it possible to get the wall finishes/layers from a specific direction? I cracked my head and still can’t figure this out.

So basically, I have compound wall (let’s say a brick wall), each side have different compound layers. For example, on the left, I have two layers, a paint and a plaster layer. On the other side I have a tile layer. What I’m trying to achieve could be clearly explained by the ray bounce concept, If I throw a ball from the left (I have the vector), I would get the paint and plaster layers. And if throw from the right, I would get tile.

With this information, I would like to programmatically decide if I should flip the wall in case the orientation is not right (I have the information that which layer should be on which side).

Is there a solution for this? Or is there an alternative to this problem? Thanks in advance.

Hi,

With the Wall CompoundStructureLayersLocation node, it’s easy to know if the wall is in the good orientation. The Location curves are always indicated from exterior side to interior side.
You can then compare the location of the first and last layer of the wall.

2 Likes

Hey @Alban_de_Chasteigner,

That’s a really brilliant package! Wish I found your package earlier :slight_smile:
That node pretty much solved my problem. But I wonder is it possible to make it work with linked elements? Currently it doesn’t works with linked elements.

PS: Sorry for the late reply, I was poking around with your nodes for quite certain times before get back to you :slight_smile:

Hi Gregor,

Thanks for your kind words.
I tried the Wall CompoundStructureLayersLocation node for linked walls. (Revit files linked by shared coordinates and origin to origin). The results are correct.
Do you have a sample file for me to reproduce the error ?