Get Imported CAD Layer properties

Is there a way to get imported CAD layer properties? I’m trying to find a way to convert CAD details to Revit I have a script using BimorphNodes DetailCurvesFromCADLayers and it’s text nodes to covert details easily. The issue I’m having however is trying to create a style map for the layers. I have about 200 views with details and a total of around 200 cad layers.

I’ve tried LinkDWG2 but couldn’t actually get any of it to work. It doesn’t appear to open AutoCAD at all. I also don’t know if this would be a good use of it since I have so many views and details to comb thru.

One option we were investigating was converting the CAD files to a more standard variant before bring them into Revit and using Bimorphs. In CAD line color is strictly associated with line thickness. The issue is I don’t know how we would transpose line patterns to their closest equivalent in Revit.

Because layers and line styles don’t correspond one to one I think it might be better to try to recreate all the layer settings in revit with new line styles and then try to manually match as close as possible with our standard line styles. That way I think we should be able to get the lines styles used in Revit down to 7-15. I will suck having to do this with 200 layers but atleast we should only have to do it once.

@crapai, ever have any luck getting this figured out? Can you share your solution for a script using BimorphNodes DetailCurvesFromCADLayers and it’s text nodes to convert details?

I’ve got this so far, but I have to imagine there’s a better way to do this:

I don’t see much different from what I ended up doing. I had to make my own dictionary for the layer to line style, but like I said once you do it once you shouldn’t have to do it again.

I ended up creating a section of the script dedicated to rotating text when neccesary and also shifting it because I found that the script was placing them in slightly the wrong location. I don’t think there’s more we can get out of the layers unless Bimorph gets updated.

1 Like