This was a request on Twitter, I’ve had a play and I can’t get it to work with @erfajo and @john_pierson 's awesome nodes and there doesn’t seem to be any access to the family category from a document in the Revit API…? Forgive my Python failings!
Glad it worked out! Apologies if I wasn’t clear what it was doing in the first place. The graph was reading the full text data of the RFA and getting the category name within than text. I might have made it incorrectly seem like it was relying on filename.
Thanks for sharing! This was super helpful for my team and I. I made a modification to include subfolders. In other words, this version of the graph will “obtain the family files from the directory [and its sub-directories] without opening them”. I hope this helps:
I was trying to take some pieces of this and apply it to a Graph i was making that would check all Project Families for any imported DWGs. I was able to get the graph to function, but the Output names of the families could sometimes be confusing as to what family type a particular family was (better family naming conventions might help… but that’s beside the point).
So - i wanted to use the “read text” trick to get the family categories for the problematic families, and include it in the output.
The problem I am having is twofold… Originally, i was getting error messages that the .rfa files couldn’t be read by the File.ReadText node, becasue the files were all being used by some other thing at the time.
I added passthroughs to try to get the two part sof the graph to work in sequence, but then i started getting warnings that “Cyclic Dependencies Exist Between Two Variables”
I am not sure if that is now why the .rfa files aren’t being read - or if the issue is still that the files are “busy”