Generative design study keeps running

Hi all,
I have created a script to pack cuboids in a container(which is also a cuboid). But when i run it on Revit 2023 its keeps on running (0/10) and not generating any result. can anyone please check what is the issue?

1 Like

Do you have any constraints in the study? Typically they should be avoided as they can prevent the first generation from ever completing.

Also make sure no other studies are attempting to run as GD can only do one study at a time (it uses 118% of all cores on my cpu so there isn’t any processing to spare to a second design). Task manager’s details pane and the pause/stop button in GD can help clear those out.

If those don’t fix it post your graph here and we can confirm that isn’t the issue.

Thank you. It resolved.

What was the issue?

Project1.rvt - Google Drive,
Livio_Cubicle_02.dyn - Google Drive,
Livio_Cubicle_02.Dependencies - Google Drive
Here i have provided the dependencies and script, can you please check.

actually it was working before. but after making some changes it again has that issue.Also in Revit 2023 the file size of dynamo become greater than 8mb. I haven’t seen like this beofore. Is that a problem?

Please make these open links so they can be accessed - I can’t access them otherwise.

sorry, updated the link on top

Also need the .dyn file (which is actually more important than the dependencies as you don’t have any referenced documents in there).

added script, dependencies and a test file. @jacob.small
Project1.rvt - Google Drive,
Livio_Cubicle_02.dyn - Google Drive,
Livio_Cubicle_02.Dependencies - Google Drive

Working fine on my end - just make sure you’re not pushing GD to hard and give it time between runs. You can check your refinery-server-log.txt file (found at %appdata%\GenerativeDesign 2023) to ensure there is forward progress. I am seeing a lot of run failures which appear to be related to the way you’re using your data.remember node - the specific geometry of the studs you are packing are being saved into the graph, but you’re only ever using their key and their bounding box. Shifting the remember nodes all way to the right side of your data gathering and serialization group should make things run smoother. You might consider bringing the geometry on the studs WAY down as well - the openings aren’t used in most cases so you can likely just have a cuboid representation at medium detail level and get just as much info from it.

1 Like

Thank you very much @jacob.small . You came as a life Saviour for me. I have updated the script as per your remarks and it’s working perfectly :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:. Also, I don’t understand what you meant by sentence - “You might consider bringing the geometry on the studs WAY down as well - the openings aren’t used in most cases so you can likely just have a cuboid representation at medium detail level and get just as much info from it.”. Is there any way to pack panels solid geometry in a cube with GD? also It would be great if I can represent the real panel geometry instead of cuboids with this script.

This was a Revit thing not a Dynamo thing. You have likely over modeled in Revit. 99% of your views are calculating geometry which is unseen and therefore you’re going to be running slower than you should be. By providing the high level of detail only in views which are labeled as ‘fine’ thing will work better.

Why? What is the end goal of having all the stud openings show like that? By providing a coordinate system and a mark you can get them packed in the field just as well. While you might be able to do this but it would put you back into ‘too much RAM being used territory.

[quote=“jacob.small, post:16, topic:99721”]
the end goal of having all the stud openings show like that? By providing a coord
[/quote] I am planning to provide these as images in documentation with tagging each panels. Representing them by real geometry will help site peoples to relate more while looking at the documentation on site. But you are also right. This information is also enough for packing to get done.

The documentation would want to happen outside of Revit then.

Create a copy of the family instance in the new coordinate system where the cuboid lives and you should be all set. I would recommend using a separate model for this though as again, the additional stud geometry is going to be a bit much from a performance standpoint.