Generative Design Studies File Location [Studies are stuck]

Hello,

I’ve been trying to solve an issue I’m having with Generative Design. It’s simply stuck for some reason.
A script that used to take a few seconds has no results after many hours.

I’ve tried the following to no avail.

• Restart software.
  • Restart pc.
  • Uninstall en reinstall.

I would like to know the file location where the studies (explore studies) are stored, so I can delete them. Uninstalling GD doesn’t seem to do it so I hope to do it manually.

Kind Regards,
Tenzin Lungtok

Perhaps it’s an issue with my script?
Goede en slechte zichten.dyn (123.9 KB)

Pause that study as a first step. Then delete all the studies which haven’t finished/were delayed (looks like you have a few).

Which version of Generative design are you using?

Does the 3 box massing sample file run?

Are you using constraints in an optimization run?

Does a random study finish?

Pause that study as a first step. Then delete all the studies which haven’t finished/were delayed (looks like you have a few).

It isn’t possible to delete the studies in the Explore Studies window. The trashcan icon stays grey and can’t be clicked on. And to pause the study, I have to restart Revit first.

Which version of Generative design are you using?

v.21.16.10 for Revit 2021

Does the 3 box massing sample file run?

I believe it doesn’t. I has been running for 20 minutes and is still on 0.

Are you using constraints in an optimization run?

Yes, sometimes I do.

Does a random study finish

No, both optimize and randomize don’t.

If there’s a way to delete the other studies in the file system on my pc. That might work.

Can you navigate to the following path (or similar - depending on which version of GD is in use, sadly I don’t have a rosetta stone to map which path is for which version) and post the file refinery-server-log.txt back here?

C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Roaming\GenerativeDesign

FYI @nate.peters

Got it!
refinery-server-log.txt (4.0 MB)

Try uninstalling via the add & remove programs tool in windows, then install the latest version (22.0.27.0) from manage.autodesk.com and see if that fixes the issue. if not submit a ticket to my colleagues in Autodesk support as this is in their wheelhouse to resolve and may be more systemic than first thought.

@jacob.small @tenzin.lungtok

Try uninstalling via the add & remove programs tool in windows, then install the latest version (22.0.27.0) from manage.autodesk.com and see if that fixes the issue.

GD versions 22.0+ will only work with Revit 2022. So if @tenzin.lungtok is using Revit 2021, then GD 21.16.10 is the most up-to-date version he should use. I think uninstalling and reinstalling is a good idea though, it looks like the server got stuck in some kind of weird state on his machine. Just make sure to grab 21.16.10 from manage.autodesk.com

Does this apply to Generative Design launched from Dynamo directly as well?

From Dynamo for Revit - yes. D4R in Revit 2021 will launch the version of GD that was installed with Revit 2021. The GD Dynamo extension is what determines the version of the GD app that launches. Same logic applies for Sandbox. If you download a newer version of Sandbox that our GD installer doesn’t know about yet (ex: Dynamo 2.11) then you can just copy the extension over to the newer version manually.

1 Like

@jacob.small @nate.peters
Thank you for your advice.

Uninstalling and reinstalling doesn’t work as I’ve tried it twice.
Downloading GD 2022 from the browser has it’s own issues apparently. I’ve been troubleshooting since yesterday without success. Could be my computers security software because not a single Autodesk forum solution works.

Anyhow, Good new is: GD 2021 seems to works fine in Revit 2022 as the older studies don’t appear there. But I did have to update my studies because the older study files resulted in no 3D outputs/thumbnails. But now it atleast works and I can move on for now. Thank you!

1 Like

@tenzin.lungtok does it also work in Revit 2022 now (and GD 2022)?

I didn’t get to download GD 2022 because of hard errors. But It did work in Revit 2022 in combination with GD 2021.