Generative Design - partial ouctput calculation

Hi,

I am struggling with the Generative Design study. I am using R2023, Dynamo 2.13 and I am testing the script, which should do the 2D rectangle packing in the containers.

The script works well in Dynamo - changing parameters I always get the geometry and output values. I am using the following packages in the script:

• Ampersand
  • Clockwork for Dynamo 2.x
  • Dynamo Text
  • GenerativeDesign
  • Refinery
  • SpaceAnalysis

I did a randomization of 3 variables with 10 solutions, just to check the script. The generation was completed with errors - Image not found, no values for outcome related to packed rectangles.
As you can see in the picture below, I recreated the parameter configuration in Dynamo of one GD study, which doesn’t calculate all outputs. In Dynamo it works perfectly - I get geometry (packed rectangles) and output values.

If I select only one parameter for the study, I even get the output - No geometry found.
I tried with 2 variables and 40 solutions. The result was the same partial output and it get stuck on 12th solution.

I am confused and I have no idea how to proceed. Maybe someone could give me some advice on what I can check to verify my script or settings to do the GD study correctly.

Many thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Julia

Hard to troubleshoot without the graph, but confirm that data.Remember is processing all values, and that none of the nodes between a Data.Remember node and a Data.Gate node call the Revit API; Testing the graph in Dynamo Sandbox is a good way to do this.

Hi Jacob,

I followed your suggestions:

• I put it correctly all Data. Remember, no Revit APIs are called.

• the script works in Dynamo Sandbox;

• I also checked if all packages are in the dependency file - everything was was fine.

In the end, I figured out that two nodes (Level. Plane and BoundaryBox.PerimeterCurvesOnPlane) of Clockwork for Dynamo 2 x 2.4.0 created the problem. When I replaced these nodes, the Generative Design returned correct results:)

Somehow this package is not compatible with GD.

Best regards,

Julia

1 Like

Level.Plane has Revit interaction (getting data from a level which is a Revit object), and as such would need to happen before a Data.Remember node, or the graph wouldn’t return results in Sandbox.

I haven’t used BoundingBox.PerimeterCurvesOnPlane before, but there doesn’t seem to be any reason that it would fail as it’s entirely Dynamo geometry driven. However if that node was reliant upon the Level.Plane node it’d fail just like the Level.Plane node…

2 Likes

Hi Jacob,

Ok, so this caused the problem, becauce I used Level.Plane after Data.Remember:)
Thank you for pointing this up.

Best regards,

Julia

1 Like