Gen Design - odd glitches

I’ve got a GD script that’s all Dynamo (no Python) that works smoothly in Dynamo. It exports and it saves in the GD folder but it’s not showing in the ‘create study’ window.

If I save over an existing study it will show in the GD create study window and I can run the script.

When I run the script it glitches though.

This is what it shows in the GD window- The red rectangles are offset from where they should be and they’re showing an entire grid. It also counts all the red rectangles that are shown.

However if I open this back in dynamo it displays fine and the count is correct (6 instead of the 200 it was showing in GD):

I’ve not done anything, not changed a thing. I only clicked the, “open in Dynamo” button.

Anyone got any suggestions as to what’s going on here?

The black lines are just lines. The red rectangle are rectangles that are created from two points.

Seems GD hates this node:

Replace with something like this: Curve.PointAtSegmentLength(crv,Curve.Length(crv)/2);

1 Like

I changed it to this. It was just a point for offset.

1 Like

Meh. I’ve added the StartPoint node to the original script + I’ve changed another bit it didn’t like.

It still does not show up in the GD, “create study” window.

Any ideas why? It says it’s exported.

What version are you on? Are you pointing to the same directory you saved your study to?

Revit 2021.1
Dynamo 2.6.1

Since I discovered it wasn’t showing up I’ve tried about 15 other scripts - pasting code in from scratch and exporting. They all seem to work except this one.

This one works if I C+P it in sections. OR if I save over an already exported one. But obviously I’d rather know what the issue is in case I come across it again in future.

It appears in the same GD location on my harddrive as the other scripts.

I wasn’t aware you can change where the GD studies window points to, how’d you do that?

Newer versions of GD package your study into a self-contained folder for easier sharing and allows you to point to multiple directories for studies.

2 Likes

Is that straight from Dynamo? I’m going straight from Dyno.

It should be the same, whether it’s from Dynamo or Revit.

1 Like

How do I get a newer version? I thought Dynamo and GD were fixed to Revit now?

There are still updates that can be installed. I believe you can find the latest GD updates through manage.autodesk.com.

That doesn’t sound like your problem though if you’re not already on that version.

I’ve just checked again. It has exported into the same folder as all the other scripts. So it’s just not showing up for some reason.

Ooo. I have just C+P to a new graph (for the nth time today)… And it seems to be showing up now!

Ghost in the machine?

I’m guessing either a minor corruption of one of the nodes or an issue with dependencies (which could have been avoided by copy/pasting nodes in a certain order.)

2 Likes

Thanks for all the input btw! Appreciated as always. :slight_smile:

This GD lark is exhausting, I think I need a nap now :laughing:

I’ve just discovered if you open the Landform node and change the word Point to point (capital P to lowercase p) it makes GD happy again.

yep - warnings around custom nodes using reserved class names as variables should be surfaced at a high level by now.

It wasn’t yellow in Dynamo and it wasn’t giving me any warnings though! It was working perfectly within Dynamo.

I only found it by systematically turning on and off previews to find out what did and didn’t run properly in GD.

2 Likes