Floor intersecting with Point (Python)

Hello Dynamo Friends :slight_smile:

I use the “ElementIntersectsElementFilter” and the “ElementIntersectsSolidFilter” to get elements that intersect with the corresponding element.

For example:

Solid = UnwrapElement(IN[0])
outlist = []

for s in Solid:
	filter = ElementIntersectsSolidtFilter(s)
	collector = FilteredElementCollector(doc).WherePasses(filter)
	collector.OfCategory(BuiltInCategory.OST_Floors).WhereElementIsNotElementType();
	outlist.append(collector)

OUT = outlist

Now i would like to check if a point intersects with a floor. Is there any method for that purpose or do i have to create a dummy solid?

Use case:
I have an excel file (from another company) with points and hosts where opening families have to be placed. Because some host IDs are not correct i would like to just use the points and find the hosts myself.

Happy about any advice, kind regards! :slight_smile:

You could probably get a plane from the floor and do some math to see if that point is on the plane.
Otherwise, I think you’re option is to create a dummy solid or maybe a bounding box like you’re mentioning.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply stewart!

Good idea with the plane, but i think in my case i cant rely on the quality of the coordinates i get, so you are right, a BB might be the best choice, so “BoundingBoxIntersectsFilter” will be the way to go.

1 Like

Hi! It can be solved with Bimorph package. Dummy solid will be useful in this case.
And what about orientation of openings? Will you read wall’s direction and rotate openings?

1 Like