Find local rooms within linked file rooms

I have rooms as whole apartments in the linked file (e.g. Apartment U203).
In the local file I have rooms for each room (e.g. Bedroom, Bathroom, etc.).
So local rooms are within the linked file’s rooms.

The point of the exercise is to write Apartment Number and Type from the linked file’s rooms into the local file’s rooms.

I’ve used the Bakery node ‘Collect Elements In rooms and Show Detailed List’ successfully to write the room numbers in a linked file to elements.
But it doesn’t work with rooms.

Does anyone know of alternative nodes that might do this?

This could be what you need:

I’ve done exactly this twice, and a modification of it once (used areas instead of rooms) in the last six months, so I know it’s doable.

To get the right help it would really speed things up if you to post the graph you have built, a complete screenshot of the graph, and a pair of sample files to duplicate your situation. Reason I ask for this is that this type of problem takes a significant amount of time to recreate, and troubleshooting it in the dark will result in a lot of random guesses that likely won’t solve the issue very quickly.

Some guesses in the meantime:
Parameter storage types don’t match. Parameter names are duplicated and Dynamo feeds the wrong one. Room locations don’t align as things have shifted when link’s were made. Lists aren’t being felt with correctly resulting in a lacing issue…

I will post the graph when I’m back in the office.
I used it on casework, but when I change the category to Rooms it doesn’t work.
It gathers all Rooms from both local and inked file to feed into the node, but null comes out the other side.
I had a look at the python script and wonder if Rooms use a different command than loadable families to get their location point.

Yna_Db: That method relies on Rooms and Spaces having the same number. Which is exactly what I am trying to get Dynamo to do for me.

I usually shy away from geometry intersections, but room geometry should be pretty safe since they’re all most likely single solids. Just check to see which room geometries intersect with which unit geometries.

I tested my graph on a test project and got it to work. Rooms had data from rooms in linked file added to them.

But when I tried it on a real project doesn’t work.

• Real project has 96 rooms, Test has 36 rooms, so I don’t think it is the amount of data.
  • Real project has rooms in groups (parameters I’m using vary within groups), did test project with groups and worked.
  • Real project has Level Computation Height at 120, did same in test project and worked.
  • Real project is workshared, did same to test project and worked.

I’m totally stumped. Is it just that Dynamo is flaky?

ParameterGetFromLinkedRoomHost.dyn (33.3 KB)
Linked Rooms Collect Elements.dyf (20.3 KB)

Not about this it isn’t. My guess is that Bakery is not getting the linked rooms correctly. Can you post a screenshot after running t on your project, expanding any errors that pop up as well?

Make sure your rooms aren’t returning any nulls. You could have unplaced rooms or something else. I’ve ran into a few odd problems getting rooms before.

Correct data is being fed into the python script: Elements in local file and rooms from linked file.
But nothing comes out from the python script.

RESOLVED:
Thank you Nick, I got rid of redundant rooms and it worked.
I’ll upload revised graph with warning for anyone who might find a use for this.Linked Rooms Collect Elements.dyf (20.9 KB)
ParameterGetFromLinkedRoomHost.dyn (35.2 KB)

2 Likes

Hard to see how you managed the unplaced and redundant rooms. For what it’s worth filtering out rooms who’s area isn’t greater than 0 is a good way to manage this programmatically.

I didn’t manage them in Dynamo, I manually deleted them from the project files.
Filtering by area would work, I also haven’t tested if it is unplaced or redundant rooms causing the problem.
But I don’t have unlimited type to mess around in Dynamo. Maybe in the future.

missing%20node

I want to try this code but i’m missing this node.
where can i get this?