Filtering Wall Types that occur in the project

Hello!
I’ve just started using Revit API in Dynamo. Forgive me if the question is stupid.
I’m trying to filter wall types to get only that ones which occuring in project. Then I’d like to get parameters of those family types.

Until now I did 2 scripts:

1. First one: I recive the right types, but they’re multiple - so now I’d like to get result like node: List.UniqueItems. How to achieve that with python?

doc = DocumentManager.Instance.CurrentDBDocument
    collector = FilteredElementCollector(doc)
    walls = collector.OfCategory(BuiltInCategory.OST_Walls).WhereElementIsNotElementType().ToElements()
    output = []
    for wall in walls:
       x = wall.Document.GetElement(wall.GetTypeId())
       output.append(x)
    OUT = output

`

1. Second one: I get list of IDTypes, then I take unique ones by python’s ‘set()’ function, but I don’t understand how to use ID to return Wall Types

collector = FilteredElementCollector(doc)
    walls = collector.OfCategory(BuiltInCategory.OST_Walls).WhereElementIsNotElementType().ToElements()
    output = []
    for wall in walls:
       x = Element.GetTypeId(wall).ToString()
       output.append(x)
    setlist = set(output)
    OUT = setlist

Greetings

Categories Node, All Elements of Category, Element.Type, UniqueItems…

Thanks for your reply. I know how to do this using Dynamo nodes. I just wondering how to do it with python and API. I’d like to learn it from scratch.

Hi @Rafat.
Are you trying to filter the walltypes from the document or the walltypes which are ACTIVE in the document? Or both? :slight_smile:

Converting your list into a set, like setlist = set(mylist) would list the unique items of the list. You’ll need to convert it back to a list to work with it later. Edit: Just like you mention in the second question.

You can use wall = doc.GetElement(ElementId) and then walltype = wall.walltype().

Hope it helps.

1 Like

Try this…

import clr

clr.AddReference('RevitAPI')
from Autodesk.Revit.DB import *
from Autodesk.Revit.DB.Structure import *

clr.AddReference('RevitAPIUI')
from Autodesk.Revit.UI import *

clr.AddReference('System')
from System.Collections.Generic import List

clr.AddReference('RevitNodes')
import Revit
clr.ImportExtensions(Revit.GeometryConversion)
clr.ImportExtensions(Revit.Elements)

clr.AddReference('RevitServices')
import RevitServices
from RevitServices.Persistence import DocumentManager
from RevitServices.Transactions import TransactionManager

uidoc=DocumentManager.Instance.CurrentUIApplication.ActiveUIDocument

#Preparing input from dynamo to revit
element = UnwrapElement(IN[0])

#Do some action in a Transaction
TransactionManager.Instance.EnsureInTransaction(doc)
walls = FilteredElementCollector(doc).OfCategory(BuiltInCategory.OST_Walls).WhereElementIsNotElementType().ToElements()

uniqueWalls = []
wallTypes = []

for wall in walls:
	if wall.WallType.Id in uniqueWalls:
		continue
	else:
		uniqueWalls.append(wall.WallType.Id)

TransactionManager.Instance.TransactionTaskDone()

OUT = [doc.GetElement(x) for x in uniqueWalls]

2 Likes

@CVestesen, @SeanP
Guys thanks a lot! Both solutions really satisfy me, but @CVestesen’s “wall = doc.GetElement(ElementId)” is the simplest way.

Last question, where did you guys learn these stuff? By now I was studying python from Mark Lutz’s “Learning Python” and Revit’s API from Lynda.com. There are few examples and I understand them, but as you see I have still a lot to learn. Can you reccomend some websites, tutorials etc ?

1 Like

From Lynda and by doing :slight_smile:
Think of something that could be smart and try read the Revit API before you start your coding to find out, how it might be solved :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, for unique values you can use “OUT = set(list)”, so set(walls)