Feedback on Website

I would second many forum related requests above:

• Please make the tracking of replies work - where you can set the 'frequency'. i.e daily, weekly, instantaneous etc.
  • Please allow for a 'search' feature of a particular persons replies (ie. If I like Person X's thought pattern, I could search for his/her replies to others for general learning).
  • Would there be a way to 'post the fact' nominate a particular thread? i.e. If a thread starts out innocent, but evolves into a thoughtful discussion could we 'tag' it searchable keywords that relate to the forum search feature?
  • Make the posting of Python code work correctly with indentation etc so that copy/paste in and out of the forum is useful. This could be native or plug into github etc.
  • Please colour and/or embolden/underline links again.
  • Could there be a 'thread view count' applied and a re-sort feature? This way a popular thread can be found quickly.
  • Please make the Bulleted List / Numbered List / Bold / Italitc / Scoreout ... all text features work properly (This post had bullet points!)

There should be a heart button for topics and replies of excellence:

http://dynamobim.com/forums/topic/automation-of-area-boundary-lines/

I’ve never actually had this feature work for me and it seems like I’m not the only one.

http://dynamobim.com/forums/topic/notify-me-of-follow-up-replies-via-email-not-working/

Also, regardless of the ratio between length and height, images appear to be getting ‘squished’ into a set ratio when entered into a post.

After a few weeks using the new forum, I don’t like it as much, and I find myself coming less. Here’s my problem - I like to see a lot of information and do less scrolling, but with the new forum there are a couple of issues that prevent this.

1.Compared to the old forum, i feel like i can only see about half as many topics on the screen at any given time - thus i have to scroll up and down more.

1. The Font size for the # of posts in a topic and the Avatar pics are too big compared to the actual title of the post - the most important thing is the title, not how many replies a topic has…

2. W a y t o o m u c h w h i t e s p a c e between each topic (and between each reply within a topic) - this lead to more scrolling - which is bad in my opinion.

3. I do not like the way that images in posts can be made bigger and bigger. it takes tons of scrolling sometimes to make it through 5 or 6 replies just to get past some of the images that take up half the screen. if i want to see the image, i’ll click on it…

I agree with Ben. The forum could make a much better use of space, to be able to contain more information in the same space available, and reduce the need for scrolling down, constantly. Images could appear as small attachments that get big only after a click, if the user is interested. The titles of the threads could be smaller, the spacing between lines of text could be smaller. The upper and lower margin of the blue area that encloses a post could be smaller. In general, it could have more normal spacing. It seems to be designed for the “visually impaired”. But my sight is very limited and I can still read other forums properly, such as Autodesk forums, Augi, or Revitforum. The usage of space in those forums is just fine and normal. It does not have to be so much bigger than that.

+Alfredo and +Ben,

I would have to respectfully disagree with the formatting comments. I think the new look is refreshingly clean but more information could be added per the comments above about view, correct answers, vote on best answers, etc… I think a could precedent for a very effective forum platform is http://stackoverflow.com/ -

I’m also very happy to see that ads haven’t infected and cluttered up the forum. With so much complex logic we are dealing with, I find the clean layout easy to read and refreshingly clean and simple in sync with current website style trends although there are a view areas things could be tightened up. My mind immediately goes to the user dashboard. Rather than having every section (Favorites, Subscriptions, etc…) stacked on top of each other, maybe it could be compressed to 2 columns and have the flexibility to re-order?

As far as big images, I would agree it gets annoying, however there is an option for ‘custom size’ when inserting media to your post in which case I drop mine down to 350 - 500 px wide. Maybe a tweak could make 350px wide the default thumbnail size when inserting media to the post? I can see how this type of detail is easy to overlook unless users are familiar with the Wordpress platform.

That’s my 2 cents!

I agree on the good looks of the site, as I wrote in my first post. But I also agree that it could make a better use of space. A better use of space would reduce the scrolling. I guess it’s the new trend in design that is common today in websites designed with Wordpress., correct? By the way, the issue with the image for the avatar was fixed. Thanks!

There also appears to be some odd formatting going on. When I wrote a post this morning it followed the format: “Text - Link”, but the resultant post was “Link - Text” so it appears rather odd :smiley:

Could the image at the top potentially ‘cycle’ weekly or monthly from a pool of accepted images - cropped and coloured accordingly? Would be cool to see community creations up there.

Looks great!

But I can’t find the dynamo language manual anymore on the learn page?

I’m just finding it painfully slow to load…

When I click on “dataset” in the Tutorials section the side only refreshes and no download option appears…

I’m using the tutorials on this website to learn how to use this program and am experiencing 2 major issues that make it impossible to follow along and work in the tutorial files at the same time. Issue #1 when I watch the 1st video in the series the narrator says to go to dynamobim.org/learn and to download the datasets. The links on that page basically are just loops back to very same page. There is no prompt to download any files. I even double checked to make sure that they were not included with the new install of Dynamo 0.9 and was not able to locate the even the 1st file that the narrator says to open. Issue #2 Is the link in the bottom right corner to watch the video on the youtube channel doesn’t work. Normally I wouldn’t care but since I can only pause and start the videos anytime I come across something that I want to take notes on I am forced to try to recall it exactly as it was presented on the fly or start the video over from the very begining just to verify that the notes I took are acurate. As of right now I am going to just watch the videos and not play along since I can’t seem to download the dataset that works in conjunction with these tutorials.

Edit: The youtube link does work for me in the google chrome browser. It wasn’t working for me in IE.

Yep - I am still hoping for the datasets as well. It is a bit of a tease: “Learn Dynamo here! Just kidding - you can’t have the data.”

Agreed with Stephen…

Hello,
I think we should be able to delete our own comments, sometimes we want to take back what we have said.
Another small thing is, when you want to search for a post on the forum, you press “enter” and it takes you to the “start a discussion” page. Just a little inconvenience.

Thanks!

I’ve not gotten any emails about posts I have contributed to, even though I’ve checked the “Notify me” box.

“Resolved/Not Resolved” pulldown on one’s own posts is weird in Chrome. It doesn’t display well, and has no feedback. Perhaps should be radio buttons or switch.