FamilyType.ByGeometry for Curves

Hi All,

I am trying to save Dynamo Curve geometry as Detail Item Family Types.

(And then place Instances of those Detail Item Families in Drafting Views).

I am feeling like this should be a similar logic as the FamilyType.ByGeometry - but instead of working with Solid geometry, curve is the input. Instead of exporting SAT it would export DWG and Import into Detail Item Family Templates.

Anyone done this or similar?

I feel like a better solution than DWGs would be to make detail curves of the dynamo curves in a new family environment. Can you share an example of what the types of stuff you are building looks like?

They are schematic symbols. You can see generally my thinking in this image…

Detail Curves (instead of DWG Import) into a Family template yes, would have more value, for sure.

But I was hoping not to have to run the script one by one in the Family environment.
I am in the Revit project file or could even be in Dynamo Sandbox, reading a CAD file, and building the Detail Item library from it.

In a case like this where you have clear symbols representing objects in a consistent way it’d be best to build them all into a family library and utilize those to build the assembled diagrams on every job, rather than making these graphics repeatedly on each job, right?

In that case, it’d be fairly easy to build a tool which creates detail components consisting of the lines in the other family. If you have 2 families, running the tool 20 times wouldn’t be too bad, and you’d likely have to open all of them eventually for quality control anyhow. But if you have 20,000 families… that’s a different issue.

Can you outline the scope of the problem a bit more? I count maybe 12 families in the image above.

A DWG containing the block you usually use might also be of use if that is what you would start from; note that some content may not reproduce due to minimal line dimensions.

Thanks for your reply Jacob! I completely agree with all you have said. I would not attempt to make these graphics repeatedly on each job. I do have the location of each symbol in the diagram and I can easily place a family to assemble the diagram as you say. I just need to map block name with family name and place families by point in view.

However, I had an idea where adjusting the diagram was more of an interactive task for a technician, the user would select the initial detail item family in the drafting view (that had been automatically generated) and swap it for another detail item family loaded in the project.

So, it is precisely the tool you describe in your second paragraph that I am interested in achieving. But instead of transfer between two families I want to transfer the lines collected from a DWG to a Detail Item Family using Dynamo.

…a tool which creates detail components consisting of the lines found in a DWG. Noting your comment about minimal line dimension.

So, my script is already collecting the curves and information from the DWG that I want to exist in the initial auto generated detail component, I am just stuck trying to write the curves to a Detail Item family type, that I might then place in a drafting view by location…

I didn’t know if someone already had a solution for writing Dynamo curves to a Detail Item family in the project?

I think reading the blocks from the DWG and making families from those is still a better option, but if you post a DWG I’ll see what can be done about making that into an RFA.

You can use DetailLine.byGeometry+ from Clockwork in conjuction with LazyDetailComponent Addin for Revit to convert it to a Detail Item.

@timhevel interesting, thanks! Will check it out :+1: