FamilyInstance.Room Rvt 23 node not working

I wanted to post this here to see if I was losing my mind or not understanding how the node works.
I’m putting together an internal webinar and need to collect the room location of elements, I know how to get it with other nodes but would much prefer to show this method, and the node doesn’t work as expected. I am passing a singular Revit Family Instance which it is asking for and not getting a room. I have confirmed the placed instance is intersecting the rooms boundaries.
What am I missing?

Rvt version is 2023.1.1.1
Let me know if I need to post more information.
Image for ref.

Is the room calculation point enabled for the couch?

It is not, I was hoping that was NOT the reason.

In a Revit 22 model it picks up the room of the element and the room calc point is not turned on.

Add. Edit. I turned on the room calc point for the couch in Revit 23, and it still does not pick up the room it is in.

Can you post a model? I was slammed with stuff today and called it a night already, but will look into it tomorrow morning.

I’m using everyone’s favorite sample model and using the families inside of it.

1 Like

Hi,

It is related to the phases, not Revit 2023 (example, the rooms are not created in the last phase of the project)

here an alternative

2 Likes

@jacob.small Your comment about the file got me thinking it has something to do with it being stored in One Drive and yep, it’s something to do with it being a central file in One drive. The node is working now.

1 Like

I have a mix mash of elements on different phases more for the instructional sense.

Central file + onedrive = great pain.

1 Like

Great, great pain and anger. Insert Yoda voice

1 Like

This is 100% not a requirement for getting rooms from most family instances. Room calculation points help in some cases, but that is not the issue here.

@c.poupin hit the nail on the head. It is more often than not, because of the phase. By default, the OOTB node uses the last phase in the project. Rhythm’s node uses the phase the element is on by default.

What do your phases look like in the sample model?
Have you modified those?
Is your couch on existing by chance?

“Mix mash of phases” isn’t the same as “everyone’s favorite sample model” either. Lol. If you’ve modified the phases or anything someone can’t just open their sample model and troubleshoot.

4 Likes

I see what you mean, apologies for that.

I have added additional phases to the project, one before the default existing and two after the default New Construction.

I have furniture elements on each of the different phases, so that explains the issues I’m having with the OOTB node. So, in order to make this work I will need to make rooms in those additional phases so a room does exist.

2 Likes

Yes. Or…

• Use Rhythm
  • Create a Python node that also allows phase inputs because this is allowed in the API. (been meaning to add that to Rhythm as well. But I have a few other things to fix first :confused: )

Side note, when the team first added the FamilyInstance.Room node to the OOTB nodes (inspired by Rhythm), I was pretty excited. But they went and added a mediocre version, which stinks.

Maybe this is a good teachable point for your students to explain the differences (and often misses) of the OOTB nodes vs. Python or a custom package.

EDIT: I did add a python sample to RhythmPython though

4 Likes

That was my thought, I’ll leave some elements on a phase without a room to illustrate why that issue is occurring as it wasn’t something I thought of the first time. I’ll also show the difference between the OOTB node (works with only the last phase), and your node for my beginner students and the python portion for my advanced students.

I appreciate the assistance John, @jacob.small and @c.poupin!

2 Likes