FamilyInstance.ByCoordinates host issue

hello dears,
im trying to make a copy from a family to several location, im getting X,Y,Z needed, but when i use FamilyInstance.ByCoordinates the output have a zero value to Z , if there any answers for that it would be appreciated

thanks

Is it a hosted family? Are you able to manually place a family there?

yes it’s hosted to ceiling, and i don’t know if this valid, if not is there any solution ?

Springs has a node for placing hosted families.

1 Like

i’ve tried it , it give me the same result

It is possible with the proper inputs. Can you show us what you get with the Springs node?

this is how i get the result, it give the points in the right position but no instances, the output from spring node XYZ=0

I noticed the host element is a level. Is the original element hosted to the floor level and given an offset? If so, you’ll have to do the same thing with your new instances - host them to the level then apply an offset.

EDIT: Hmmm… it seems like the hosted element does default to Z=0 even though it has a host. I tried using a similar but different method from the API and got the same result. @Dimitar_Venkov, do you have any insight here?

EDIT2: Using the OOTB node FamilyInstance.ByFace still locks the offset at 0 but does at least put the family in the correct location.

the original element hoted on level 01 without any offset, i have select it by Specify a new Work Plan window
2017-10-25_17-08dddddddddddd-13

i thinks the idea is we can set location for element in X,Y only, for Z we need SET HOST thing, that i dont know what we could use something that work as Specify a new Work Plan

@khuzaimah.ElecEng you’ll need to share your family for further assistance. There could be multiple reasons why this can’t work and right now we can only guess.

thanks Dimitar,
i have attache the family …
M_Ceiling Light - Flat Round.rfa (352 KB)

You can host this face based family on a level or a plane. but the only way to control the elevation is by the built-in “Default Elevation” type property:

For a more fine-grained approach, you’ll have to rework the family and set up an offset parameter and then modify your script with the new parameter in mind. Alternatively, you could use a different family template for your lights - face based families can sometimes be more of a hassle than they’re worth.

Hi @khuzaimah.ElecEng

How about creating a dummy face in Revit and delete after the transaction?

3 Likes

hello Kulkul,
thanks for your answer, im trying to do this, but if you please get screen shot for the whole script. i couldn’t find where do you connect the code block “srf” output.

thanks again

@Kulkul it’s worked , thats brilliant idea … thank you

i have same problem , i can’t know where he connect the code block “srf” output.
can you help ?