Family instance by point in view - Doesn't work with 3-D families?

Hi,

Is it possible that the FamilyInstance.ByPointInView node only works with detail components or detail families? FamilyInstance.ByPoint works just fine for the family I am trying to place, but when I try to specify a certain view to place families in, the clockwork node does not work for me.

Is there any way to edit the clockwork node to have it work families that have 3-D geometry? I tried looking into the python script that’s built into the node, but I don’t have any Python or programming experience at all so I wasn’t able to make heads or tails of it.

Here is the family I am trying to place:

Shower.rfa (296 KB)

Hi @bac

Yes :slight_smile:

I believe this is the method Andreas is using in the node:

Link: ApiDocs.co

FamilyInstance.ByPointInView is intended for annotations. If you want to place 3D content the FamilyInstance.ByPoint node is what you are after - these elements with 3D geometry need a home in the 3D space, not in the 2D space of the view.

1 Like

Thank you very much, that clears up my confusion. I ended up using the node GetLinkedElement.InHostViewAndCategory from the Data-Shapes package to specify the view I want to work in (in case this thread gets searched by someone else in the future).