Family instance by curve not working

Hello,
Ive loaded a line-based family inside a generic model template. Im trying to create an instance by a curve, but its not working. It returns null. I already have reinstalled Dynamo and Clockwork. It worked in the project environment. Can you give an alternative on how to create the geometry without using the Clockworks node?

The problem is that both nodes, FamilyInstance.ByLine from Archilab and FamilyInstance.ByCurve from Clockwork, use the
Document.NewFamilyInstance (Curve, FamilySymbol, Level, StructuralType) method

and it works only in a project environment.

There are other methods in the RevitAPI, like
FamilyItemFactory.NewFamilyInstance(Face, Line, FamilySymbol)
FamilyItemFactory.NewFamilyInstance(Reference, Line, FamilySymbol)

that should work in the family editor, but you need a face instead of a level, and I don’t know if some nodes are providing it.
In this case you would need a custom Python node.

1 Like

Thank you for the information! As Im not familiar at all with the API, can you suggest an alternative how to make this geometry inside a family environment? Its a simple extrusion, but i need to keep the family parameters Diamanat.rfa (312 KB)

Help me to understand, can’t you simply do it with Revit, as a nested family?

The only reason to do it with Dynamo could be because, let’s say, you have a family with thousands of lines, and you want to place a nested family for each line.

Yes, This is exactly the case. Also the length of the lines is calculated in dynamo.